Position: Health Advisor
Location: Tehran, Iran (with frequent travel to the field)
Duration: 1 year with possible extension
Reports to: Program Director
Number of staff to manage: Managing 1 Health Coordinator – with over responsibility for the management of the Health team
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a leading global organization and home to teams of humanitarian and development professionals committed to providing immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, integrated programming, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills, aiming to empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
Position Summary: RI is looking to expand its Health programming in emergency and development settings in Iran and is recruiting an International Health Advisor, to be based in Tehran, who will focus on the development of RI-Iran’s Health strategy, Health program development, technical support for program implementation, fund raising, advocacy, coordination, external representation, facilitation of learning within the organization and building on best practices within the health sector globally.
The candidate is expected to be fluent in English. Knowledge of Farsi is desirable
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
Health Strategy and Program Development (50%)
- Develop the RI-Iran Health sector strategy.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to the team in the development of proposals and program planning.
- Promote adherence to standards and best practices taking into account the need for local adaptation.
- Ensure that humanitarian health needs are identified by planning and coordinating joint, inter-cluster, initial rapid assessments which are adapted to the local context.
- Contribute to the identification of critical issues that require multi-sector responses and coordinate with other RI-Iran sectors, with sector working groups and clusters (where applicable) to develop appropriate responses.
Technical leadership (20%)
- Provide technical oversight to ensure the quality of RI-Iran’s health programing and promote adherence to global health standards.
- Oversee the production of Health related research papers in coordination with the Ministry of Health & Medical Education (MoHME) and other key stakeholders – including advising on research design and methodology.
- Supervise and support the timely and effective implementation of health projects and activities across operational areas, in line with budgets and work-plans.
- Work closely with the Program Director and Program Managers on program planning and budgetary/financial management – including contributing to the development of program plans and participating in BvA/Grant review where appropriate.
- Coordinate with other RI-Iran sectors to integrate health and hygiene related activities/ indicators, especially through awareness raising and mainstreaming protection and cash aimed at enhanced well-being and access to health services amongst beneficiaries
- Work closely with MoHME and BAFIA on all project activities and regularly follow up on all action points.
- Review requests from MoHME and other stakeholders for medical equipment/supplies and support the Operations team in the procurement of medical/health related goods and services.
- Support the Construction Officer and other relevant stakeholders in ensuring that the design and layout of Health infrastructure constructed or renovated under RI projects meet national and, where possible, international Health standards.
Monitoring and Reporting (10%)
- Work closely with the MEAL team in the monitoring of health interventions; ensuring the collation, analysis and sharing of data related to project activities and broader Iranian health context for the purposes of designing new interventions, donor advocacy and fund raising.
- Support the development of needs assessments, Health screening and KAP questionnaires and conduct in-depth analysis of the data collected through the use of these tools.
- Support the MEAL team and field teams in ensuring that robust monitoring systems are in place and that reviews are undertaken periodically.
- Work with the MEAL team to design and implement a data management and reporting system to monitor and evaluate projects in terms of achievement of objectives, indicators and outcomes as well trends of the epidemiological context.
- Lead on the preparation of Health components of project reports – contributing both in terms of narrative reporting and data analysis.
- Conduct monitoring visits to project locations, develop field reports and follow up on critical issues in a timely manner.
External Representation and Communication (10%)
- Establish and maintain communications with key Health stakeholders (including national and provincial Health authorities, national and international organizations and civil society actors) and engage actively with existing coordination mechanisms.
- Represent the organization in relevant working groups and external meetings.
- Coordinate with RI’s Global Health Technical Advisor and other technical and operational staff.
- Engage proactively with donors and other stakeholders for the purposes if advocacy and fund raising.
- Lead on the development of Health related position, policy and research papers relevant to the Iran context.
Capacity Building (10%)
- Regularly assess and strengthen the capacity of RI-Iran’s Health team, ensuring that team members are able to access training and professional development resources appropriate to their capacity gaps/needs.
- Coordinate the dissemination of key technical material and organize trainings with a special focus on standards and best practice.
- Build the technical capacity of RI teams, partners, NGOs and government counterparts as required.
Areas of Expertise:
RI wishes to identify a Health Advisor with demonstrated experience and expertise in:
- Health program design and development, most notably for DEVCO, ECHO, DFID and GFFO.
- Design and implementation of Health programs in fragile states and for refugee and IDP populations.
- Technical writing for Health proposals and reports.
- Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning in Health programming.
- Working with host-country government bodies, including Health ministries.
- Health programming in emergency, protracted crisis, and development settings in the following sub-sectors:
- Prevention campaigns to control and decrease disease outbreaks – with an understanding of acute respiratory infections such as SARS, MERS and COVID-19.
- Nutrition interventions, Community–Based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM)
- Reproductive maternal health support.
- Primary health care, clinic and hospital treatment services support
- Providing thought leadership in leading health networks
Qualifications & Requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in demanding and often difficult environments.
- Master’s degree in International Public Health, or other Health Practitioners’ areas of study / related field
- 6 years experience in the Health sector on donor-funded projects; with two years in fragile states.
- 4 years experience in the Health sector supporting project teams on full project cycle technical needs (design, implementation, M&E, lessons learned), experience in emergency. or protracted crises setting desired.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently in a high-stress environment.
- Excellent time management skills, resourcefulness, with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work virtually with team members spread out around the world.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to think critically and creatively.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent representation, presentation and communication skills.
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment; building relationships internally and externally.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation