PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Head of Business Development who will be responsible for leading PATH’s global business development (BD) function and ensuring organization-wide alignment and execution of BD objectives. This is a highly visible leadership role that reports to the COO, sits as a member of the Extended Executive team and partners at all levels of the organization to support and advance PATH’s worldwide revenue generation objectives, programmatic goals and health impact. This leadership role requires broad strategic, tactical and management experience in leading BD teams and activities within global health or global development organizations of similar size and complexity. The Head of Business Development will provide thought leadership and lead the execution of our strategic revenue generation strategy that includes further building / strengthening organizational BD capabilities and activities including business analytics, donor engagement, BD planning, and training. This role will focus on realizing grant funding from large bilateral and multilateral donors and private foundations (e.g. USAID, DFID, Unitaid, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and Gavi) that complement our Strategic Partnerships and Philanthropy (SPP) group’s focus on philanthropic development, corporate partnerships and relationships with private foundations.
As a large, diverse, global organization, success in this position will require strong internal collaboration and partnership with leaders across our divisions, programs and countries. In coordination and alignment with internal partners, the Head of Business Development will also help develop strong external relationships with donors and partners, position PATH as a partner of choice, and persuasively articulate PATH’s capabilities, innovation, and value proposition for stakeholders. This role will also help realize new donor relationships, secure new funding sources, and identify new revenue generation approaches and opportunities.
The Head of Business Development will inspire and lead a team of experienced BD professionals, hire new staff, optimize team structure, improve processes and further implement the BD business partner model internally that defines the right engagement, service architecture and key performance indicators for BD support to programs/divisions and, more broadly, to realize BD plans and revenue generation goals across PATH.
The Head of Business Development will collaborate with global programs and divisions to ensure exemplary partnerships, impactful delivery of BD services, effective alignment and decision-making on upcoming funding opportunities, and strong positioning, capture planning and proposal management that consistently delivers success in our grant proposals.
The Head of Business Development will bring expertise and experience in building / leading a high performing BD team, strong knowledge of best practices in BD / revenue generation, strong network of donors, partners and other BD professionals, knowledge of digital tools and industry-standard data, analytics, and training that enhance business development efforts and success in grant funding.
- Drive revenue and growth through operationalizing and co-leading with our divisions successful execution of the strategic revenue generation objective.
- Inspire, lead and manage a global business development team, refine and implement the BD business partner model that results in partnership between BD and programs for effective positioning, capture planning and proposal management.
- Ensure strong external engagement with donors, partners, countries and other stakeholders and support PATH program teams to build networks, develop strategic relationships, and communicate PATH’s value proposition and position the organization as a partner of choice.
- Advise COO and ET on BD strategy and execution, business models, donor relationships, key external partnerships, new funding opportunities and mechanisms, and options for full cost recovery that will expand opportunities for PATH and drive further impact.
- Partner with PATH country and global teams to strengthen in-country BD efforts and build a global BD community.
- Maintain a deep understanding of key donors and keep PATH leadership and program teams informed on the changing landscape and advise how our strategic revenue generation strategy should evolve.
- Serve as PATH’s lead negotiator with donors and partners to come to agreement on funding and partnership terms leading up to award.
- Ensure a culture of strong collaboration that drives revenue generation by communicating effectively across programs and shared services, mentoring BD staff, negotiating roles as needed, resolving conflicts and establishing structures and processes.
- Strengthen analytics to provide insights on progress toward revenue generation goals and health of BD pipeline that guide the organization to make informed decisions about revenue generation activities.