The Power Africa Off-Grid Project (PAOP) is a four-year USAID-funded project to promote off-grid electrification in 12 countries in East, Central, and West Africa. The project is headquartered in Pretoria, South Africa. PAOP provides technical assistance to key sector stakeholders, including private sector off-grid companies, investors, and government agencies.
PAOP is seeking qualified applicants for a Grant Officer to support the grants component of the project, identified as the Catalyzing Off-grid Investments Fund (COIN Fund). Under the supervision of the COIN Fund Manager, the Grants Officer is responsible for providing support to the PAOP grants portfolio. The successful candidate will assist in the implementation and day-to-day organization and administration of the grants programme. Although the Grants Officer reports directly to the COIN Fund Manager, the individual will be part of the larger the PAOP Team, providing support to grants’ Technical Managers, and the larger project team. This position is based in Pretoria, South Africa or Nairobi, Kenya, and reports to COIN Fund Manager.
The position will be offered on a 1-year full time, fixed term local national employment contract (which may be renewable). The local (in-country) compensation package will be applied per the final candidate selection and location. Applicants eligible to work in South Africa or Kenya are eligible to apply to this position
- Contribute to the COIN Fund Team with issuance of Request for Applications and Annual Programme Statements, preparations for grant selection process, pre-award survey and award negotiations.
- Maintain productive relationships with client / partner grant officers, agreement officers, and contract administrators.
- Assist the COIN Fund Team with drafting, administering, and closing of grant agreements.
- Undertake pre-award assessment process and ensure both acquisition and assistance type of organization have the capacity to appropriately receive funding.
- Participate in cost analysis of proposals and application budgets for cost realism –budget reviews.
- Assist to convert proposal and application budgets into grant financial report budget format or payment and deliverable schedule.
- Conduct review of grantee financial reports and providing feedback for appropriate corrective action.
- Ensure the implementation of Special Award Conditions (SACs) that were included in each award agreement.
- Develop and maintain tracking systems to efficiently monitor grantee compliance.
- Provide training and orientation to grantees on USAID and RTI rules and regulations in line with the grant agreement. as well as the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Track and update Grant Management System (GMS) with all grant information and circulate monthly.
- Monitor the budget revision thresholds for grantees and ensure amendments to grants are developed and processed in a timely manner.
- Facilitate the grantees’ close out processes.
- Conduct compliance assessment in line with grant agreement and rules and regulations.
- Occasional international travel may be required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Masters’ degree and 3 years of experience or Bachelors’ Degree and 5 years of experience. The degree should be in Accounting or Finance, CPA or equivalent designation with mid to senior level financial experience preferred.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in finance and grants management.
- Strong government accounting experience as well as experience with USAID, or other donor agency regulations highly preferred.
- Experience working for an international non-profit preferred.
- Proficient in English language required (proficiency in French is desired).
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure with limited resources.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to form productive relationships with host country counterparts and training institutions.
- Culturally sensitive and respectful.
- Demonstrates commitment to RTI’s mission, vision, and values.
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel (intermediate to advanced level)
- Ability to travel when required.