Position Title: Grants & Compliance Manager, Vaccine Equity (RECOVER), U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit (USPHAU)
Reports to: Senior Director, Grants Management & Compliance (with line to Project Director, USPHAU)
Location: Remote (US)
Position Type: Full-time, temporary with potential to extend longer term
Leveraging Partners In Health’s (PIH) experience and lessons learned from our 30 years of global work in emergency epidemic response and health systems strengthening, PIH has spent the last year collaborating with the state of Massachusetts on COVID contact tracing, and working with other U.S. states, cities and community partners in building more equitable and effective public health responses to COVID-19 in the US.
PIH’s U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit (USPHAU) supports public sector and community partners on the frontlines of the public health response to COVID-19 in multiple communities across the U.S. Recognizing the severity of this acute-on-chronic public health crisis, USPHAU provides technical assistance and knowledge-sharing platforms to enable local public health partners to implement effective, equitable COVID-19 responses. USPHAU advises and supports these local partners on design and implementation, incorporating an equity lens into execution, and creating a community of partners across the US to share best practices and challenges in order to fortify efforts amidst the national response to COVID-19.
USPHAU has applied for a short-term but substantial grant from the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). If and when the funds are awarded, PIH will engage multiple public sector and community partners in subaward and other contractual arrangements that will lay the foundation for our work.
The HRSA Grants & Compliance Manager, USPHAU will, with the oversight of PIH’s Grants Management and Compliance (GM&C) and Legal teams, draft or review all contracts, including subawards, consultancies, salary billing agreements and MOUs, arising under the USPHAU HRSA award. This role will also assess potential grant subrecipients for financial and compliance risk prior to signing a contract, and oversee and document ongoing compliance with those contracts, as well as confirm or, if needed develop any additional policies or procedures necessary to reinforce grant compliance either by PIH or by a partner under the award. This role will also support PIH’s Legal team in assessing and ensuring PIH’s compliance with relevant state and local law. The position will report in to the USPHAU Project Director, and serve as liaison to the PIH GM&C and Legal teams with regard to the project.
- Leads drafting or review of all contracts entered into by PIH under the HRSA award, including subawards, consultancies, salary shares and MOUs
- Leads preparation and management of contract-related or other documentation required for compliance with the HRSA award and with PIH policies and procedures
- Ensures USPHAU compliance with the rules and regulations governing HRSA grants.
- Ensures compliance with all contracts entered into by PIH under the HRSA award both by PIH and by its partners
- Ensures compliance with state and local laws in places where the HRSA award is implemented, working with PIH Legal team.
- Serves as liaison between PIH Legal and GM&C Teams and USPHAU.
- Keeps meticulous files on grant-related documents
- JD, paralegal, or similar with strong knowledge of US federal rules regarding federally-funded grants and contracts
- At least 6 years of experience in, and at least 2 years of leading contract review and negotiation in connection with US government grants and contracts
- Experience with CDC, HRSA, or other arms of HHS preferred, but not required
- Ability to present information effectively to top management and project managers
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects concurrently under deadline pressure and changing priorities
- Ability to work well with a diverse team of stakeholders, honoring the concerns and priorities of multiple PIH teams and local partners
Partners In Health (PIH) is a non-profit, global health organization that fights social injustice by bringing the benefits of modern medical science first and foremost to the most vulnerable communities around the world. PIH focuses on those who would not otherwise have access to quality health care. PIH partners with the world’s leading academic institutions to create rigorous evidence that shapes more sound and all-inclusive global health policies. PIH also supports local governments’ efforts to build capacity and strengthen national health systems.
As of today, PIH runs programs in 11 countries (Haiti, Peru, Rwanda, Mexico, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Malawi, Lesotho, Russia, Kazakhstan, Navajo Nation), where it provides direct care to millions of patients, through public facilities and community engagement.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities.