The Grants Associate will be responsible for managing project-administered subgrants under 25,000 USD including pre-award diligence and analysis, subgrant award execution, and post-award monitoring, in compliance with prime funder requirements and Internews policy. Under the supervision of the Business Manager and alongside the Business Associate, the Grants Associate will support administrative tracking department-wide, eventually becoming Global Tech Programs’ in-house expert on subgranting and procurement. While this role may support other projects and department initiatives, the Grants Associate will primarily administer large subgrant pools under two USAID-funded projects: Illuminating New Solutions and Programmatic Innovations for Resilient Spaces (INSPIRES) and Greater Internet Freedom (GIF). As an administrative support position, this role also requires excellent written communication that provides friendly, supportive, creative solutions and guidance to programmatic counterparts.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Right now, all Internews offices are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and Internews staff are working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. The ideal candidate for this role will be based in the DC area and able to come to the downtown DC office once it reopens. Until that time, this position will function remotely and remote candidates will be considered.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES include the following:
USAID Programs (75%):
- Work with the Business Manager and Chiefs of Party to develop and maintain an internal system and process for subgrants management
- Manage outside services and personal services contracts including preparing contract requests, tracking deliverables and payments, and issuing modification requests
For Project-Administered Subgrants:
- Conduct risk and capacity assessments of potential subrecipients and formulates and applies informed subgrant agreement risk-mitigation provisions
- Assist Chiefs of Party with analysis of proposed subgrants for compliance with funder requirements and Internews policy, including cost reasonableness and allowability
- Draft agreements and modifications for project-administered subgrants
- Track and files subgrant-related data including quarterly reports, cost share, host government taxes, financial status, year-end subgrant cash, contributes to monthly subgrant accrual process, etc.
- Track subrecipient audit, vetting, and indirect cost rate compliance
For All Subgrants:
- Review and track subgrant financial reporting in coordination with the Business Associate
- Monitor subgrantee performance on financial management and reporting
- Work directly with subrecipient partner organizations to ensure they understand the terms of their subaward and how to prepare quarterly reports
- Investigate financial discrepancies or deficiencies for project-administered subgrants
- Facilitate subgrant close-out process
- Serve as/supports point of contact for subgrant audit issues and prepares documentation for audits
Other GTP Programs (15%):
- Administer project-administered subgrants upon request (see above)
- Advise and/or train program staff on subgrant and subcontract administration
- Coordinate with the Business Associate to develop subgrant spending projections
- Track external partners (subrecipients and contractors) working across multiple projects
Department Administration (10%)
- Assist the Business Manager and Internews’ Grants and Contracts department in communicating with and providing guidance to program staff on subgrant monitoring/compliance issues, communicating complex ideas, regulations, etc. in a clear and concise manner
- Work with the M&E Specialist to track all GTP’s external partners for inclusion in a central database
- Other duties as assigned
Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
- Prior professional experience, preferably in a nonprofit setting
- Understanding of and experience with administration of US Government (USG) grants, cooperative agreements and contracts
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Superior analytical ability
- Proven ability to multi-task and prioritize a shifting workload
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Professional-level fluency in English.
**Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn are still encouraged to apply**
- Experience with US Agency for International Development (USAID) awards highly desirable.
- Experience monitoring recipients of USG and other funding sources
- Experience with administrative systems of international Non-Governmental Organization
- Proficiency in languages others than English
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.