Reports to: Global Technology Hub Director
Contract Duration: 17 months (with possible extension)
Expected Starting: June 2019
Salary expectation: £32,623 – £38,060 (C1 – C3)
Internews is seeking an organised, business minded, budget focused individual to support operations and of its London-based Global Technology Hub (GTH). The GTH provides direct technological support to civil society organizations around the world. This position will play a critical role in supporting existing projects as well as taking part in helping shape and drive forward a substantial scaling and innovation initiative. This is an exciting and challenging role for someone with a mind for business and keen interest in the intersection of media, technology and human rights.
This is business and operations oriented role, and one with the potential to expand. If you have a creative, optimistic approach to problem-solving, find joy in creating strong, well-ordered processes. spirit, and are seeking fulfilling, mission-driven work, this is an ideal position. You will play a core role in an exciting new endeavor and have the agency and autonomy to make high-level, meaningful contributions within a large, international NGO. We are seeking candidates who have successfully managed multiple projects simultaneously and can drive the development of strong program tracking and business management work flows. We are also seeking candidates who are excited to join a global, distributed, multi-cultural, multi-lingual team but will also appreciate the opportunity to collaborate with a broader team of colleagues located in our London office, as well as offices in Washington, DC, and California.
Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly launched hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped our partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Internews is a non-profit organisation operating internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, London and Paris as well as regional hubs in Bangkok, Kiev and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
About the Global technology Hub
The Global Technology Hub (GTH) is a team that sits within Internews’ Global Technology Department and supports development and deployment of technology in projects internationally. We offer a full suite of services to support security, sustainability, resiliency and capacity building for independent media outlets, civil society organizations, and human rights defenders around the globe.
The GTH Coordination Officer will be based in Internews’ London office, reporting to the GTH Director. Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Assume a central position within the Global Tech Hub, supporting the Director of the GTH in developing operational and budgetary practices/tools that will allow the GTH to scale dramatically in the next two years.
- Proactively work on developing social enterprise opportunities in collaboration with the GTH Director, the VP for Global Technology Programs, and other relevant departments.
- Track existing GTH staff and resources across projects to identify how resources can be allocated in upcoming work and identify when new staffing may be required;
- Identify and integrate meaningful metrics tracking methods and tools to track the impact of GTH work and supervise the collection and reporting of those metrics across multiple projects.
- Support the GTH Director in managing relationships with external vendors, contractors, and suppliers.
- Drive forward the design, creation, and dissemination of financial and administrative GTH updates to senior leadership as well as relevant project teams, developing or revising planning tools and project trackers as necessary.
- Contribute to designing funding proposals, grant applications, and other strategic expansion opportunities.
- Support business development and external relations goals, following up on meetings and correspondence as needed.
- Demonstrate understanding of and commitment to Internews’ Core Values.
We are seeking a business-minded individual who thrives on organizing teams and processes and brings creativity, cheer, and motivation to big challenges and meaningful work. Applicants should:
- Have strong relationship-building skills and bring a collaborative ethos to their work;
- Be results oriented and have strong organisational skills, with the demonstrated ability to track multiple projects and deadlines;
- Demonstrate a track record of working in technology-focused projects or, alternatively, the ability to pick up new subject matter areas quickly and effectively;
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills, and demonstrate the ability to relay information about technical topics in language that is supportive of non-technical colleagues;
- Be comfortable working with an internationally-distributed team;
- Have an interest and/or background in working with technology-focused projects and in supporting media and civil society in building digital capacities;
- Bring experience working with excel sheet formulas and other software for business management, and ability to create usable templates in common file formats;
- Demonstrate the capacity to track both expense and income streams and staffing allocations.
- Experience working in business development in NGOs is beneficial;
- Fluency in a language in addition to English is beneficial;
This position will be located in the United Kingdom and therefore a successful applicant must obtain the Right to Work in the UK in order to commence their employment
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, all the tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the job holder a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
To Apply: Please submit a CV along with a cover letter.
Closing date: 6 Jun 19