Reports to: Global Technology Hub Director
Location: London, Berlin, Paris (other European locations potentially acceptable)
Contract Duration: 18 months (with possible extension)
Expected Starting: ASAP
Salary expectation: Salary commensurate with experience
Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly launched hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped our partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Internews is a non-profit organisation operating internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, London and Paris as well as regional hubs in Bangkok, Kiev and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
Internews seeks an experienced technologist with a background in direct support to join Internews Global Technology Hub (GTH) for an initial 18-month contract. Reporting the Global Technology Hub Director, you’ll be the direct connection between Internews’ MENA based partners and beneficiaries, the Global Technology Hub team and relevant Internews program officers. You will be central to both oversight of technical project delivery and helpdesk support. You’ll also take a leading role in a distributed team of helpdesk officers and digital security advisors doing similar work in other regions, supporting an exchange in best practices, support standardization of methodologies and setting establishing common practices for service delivery, escalation processes and helping establish a structure that can be replicated across Internews projects which support local partners’ digital capacity.
This is a direct service and oversight role, requiring a technologist with a mix of direct technical skills and experience and someone who can lead a small team of diverse helpdesk support officers. Responsibilities include:
- Coordinate digital technology activities in our Human Rights programme portfolio with partners, relevant GTH team members, and other teams across Internews;
- Administering the implementation of ICT activities according to set timelines;
- Ensure progress of assigned ICT activities remains on track, in scope and budget;
- Administer M&E processes and work plans for activities;
- Participate in usability and technical reviews of GTH and external developer deliverables;
- Co-design and implement technology capacity building plans (training, mentoring, helpdesk, digital security audits, etc.) with partners and GTH Engineers;
- Organize and/or lead on facilitating technology training sessions and workshops with key partners;
- Participate in preparing project documentation and data collection for donor and internal reporting;
- Support translation of internal-use documents as needed;
- Travel and/or represent GTH in workshops, trainings, meetings or at conferences when needed;
- Lead on setting high-quality standards and practices for helpdesk and ICT support and co-creating documents, templates and methodologies with the GTH’s ICT Coordination & Helpdesk Officer team for use across projects;
- Develop, with the GTH Director and team, on identifying new areas of support and improving upon existing areas of support with ICT Coordination and helpdesk support.
Candidates should possess the following experience, skillsets or background:
- Native Arabic speaker: spoken and written fluency;
- Spoken and written fluency in English;
- High degree of computer literacy with Windows and at least one other operating system;
- A solid understanding of information security and internet’s building blocks: DNS, SSL, IP, etc.;
- A strong understanding of digital safety and information security tools and practices;
- Professional experience in project coordination, administration or management;
- Excellent organizational, coordination and administrative skills;
- Patience, and excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to explain technical concepts in plain language for individuals and groups with different levels of digital experience and understanding.
- Ability to work in a globally distributed team on projects with multiple milestones and deliverables;
- Able to provide support remotely, working with those who may have technical difficulties;
- Passions for free expression and internet freedom;
- An interest in and/or previous involvement with independent media issues and practical support for media outlets, civil society organisations, nonprofits or similar.
In addition to the above, it may be helpful (but not essential) if candidates have the following:
- Fluency in at least one other regional or vernacular language (Persian, Turkish, Arabic, Russian, etc) is advantageous;
- Experience working directly with at-risk communities in increasing digital safety capacity;
- Professional teaching, workshop leading or other group leadership/change management experience;
- Understanding of DevOps and digital infrastructure security best practices, website development and/or design, web server security or other back-end oriented online management experience.
- Experience in organisational security audits (SAFETAG or other frameworks) is advantageous;
- Any web development or direct system administration experience is advantageous.
- Demonstrative experience in training and creating training materials for digital security/capacity building;
How to apply
Please respond with ALL of the following items. When you submit your application, you must include:
- A CV in English;
- A cover letter explaining your background, qualifications and interest in this role, in English;
- 2-3 references that could be checked upon a conditional offer of employment.
If you prefer to use PGP encrypted email or other secure means to communicate, this can be accommodated, please use the above address to first let us know your preference if you have special requirements.
Extra submission materials
Links to relevant samples of work (Git repositories, online materials or related writings or other creations or proof of experience and/or skills) are helpful, if you have them, but not essential to the application process.
Privacy and Confidentiality
The information in this document is confidential. When responding, please send replies only to those listed in the “contact” section. Copyright © 2019 by Internews Europe (IEU). All rights reserved. This document is supplied purely for the purpose of assisting applicants to apply to the above described position; no part of this document may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means (electronic, photocopying, recording or otherwise) for any other purpose.
Closing Date: 12:00pm on Monday 27 January 2020