IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC’s Budget & Administration Department (CBA) is part of the Corporate Support Vice Presidency (COSVP) and plays a significant role in achieving IFC’s mission. Department responsibilities include business planning formulation, budgeting, investment and advisory support, reporting & analytics, administration, procurement, facilities management, and global security among others. CBA has the mandate to connect the dots across the organization and bring insight and consistency to IFC’s resource management. Functionally, CBA covers the following areas relative to IFC:
• Total Resource Management including responsibility for the annual Budget Paper
• Budget Systems, Reporting & Analytics
• Real Estate, Facilities & Operations Procurement
• Global Security
• Client Facing: Operations, Operational Support and Corporate Support Business Partners
CBA’s service delivery model is intended to deliver higher value for money with more efficient, effective, and professional business finance services to enable sustained business success through effectively supporting delivery of the IFC’s strategy. It also focuses on improving governance to enable better oversight of what and how administrative services are provided and continuing to strengthen the Finance professional workforce with up-to-date skills, knowledge, and experience.
IFC’s Real Estate/Facilities Management and Procurement unit (CBARE) is responsible for IFC’s corporate real estate, project management, facilities management, security services oversight, capital budgeting (CBAFM), sustainability and IFC’s procurement function (CBAPC). CBARE strives to form value-added partnerships with internal clients to support them through real estate, facilities management and procurement related activities while ensuring that these activities are fully aligned with IFC’s corporate objectives and creating efficiencies.
IFC is headquartered in Washington DC and has 106 Country Offices globally across six continents, totaling approximately 2.3 million gross square feet (>1.3 million gross square feet in Washington and >1.0 million gross square feet outside the United States). These facilities are a mix of owned and leased real estate.
IFC is seeking a dynamic individual to join CBAFM as the Real Estate & Facilities Team Lead – Country Offices to oversee CBAFM, IFC’s Real Estate/Project Management/Facilities Management Country Office function with responsibility for IFC’s global offices outside of Washington DC. This role will oversee and lead the activities of a small team of Regional Real Estate Coordinators with regional focus and Project Managers with global focus. The position will require extensive international travel. This role will be based internationally with a preference of being in Paris, France.
Duties and Accountabilities
The position reports to the Manager, CBARE. The role focuses extensively on Global Real Estate, Project Management, Facilities Management and requires a strong mix of technical experience in corporate real estate, property and/or facilities management and a strong track record in managing a distributed/remote team. Extensive experience of delivery in emerging markets with experience in similar large corporates or international organizations and their practices, processes and procedures is required.
Key areas of responsibility include:
• Corporate Real Estate: Oversight of ongoing review, revision, development, and implementation of IFC global real estate, facilities management, workplace environment planning, procurement standards, policies, and processes. Portfolio Management, Lease Management, Real Estate Strategy & Planning.
• Project Management: Extensive oversight of project implementation, including planning, development, broad direction for facilities and real estate related project work that include Real Estate Expansions, Relocations, Consolidations, Reconfigurations, and new Building Constructions. Project budget evaluation and fit-out/building cost estimation (order of magnitude).
• Operations & Facilities Management: Global oversight of ongoing facilities management of the physical offices that includes maintenance and operations, design and construction, space allocation and management, capital improvement projects, and all property administrative services.
• Advisory Services: Guiding/advising Country Office Staff and Management in all real estate, property administrative, project management and facilities/property management related endeavors. Guiding and coaching IFC internal clients through various related processes related to real estate with emphasis on IFC policies and standards.
• Strong collaboration and coordination with multiple internal and external service providers, including but not limited to other project implementation managers, budget staff, procurement staff, IT specialists, security providers, architects, engineers, developers, real estate brokers, landlords, construction managers, furniture providers, etc.
• Controllership: Maintain robust financial approaches, policies, and procedures in line with central standards and policies and other corporate expectations. Applying rigorous workflow process with financial oversight.
• Efficiency: Advocate and drive cost-effective delivery of services, promoting stronger analytical support, transparency, simplicity, standardization, and automation. Achieving operational excellence and efficiencies through real estate/facilities and procurement functions while providing high quality service to internal clients.
• Capital budget development planning and input for real estate and property/facilities project needs.
• People management: Lead and develop a global team currently composed 5 regional real estate coordinators and 2 global project managers.
• Facilities Management: Overseeing the ongoing operations of all IFC’s global facilities (whether leased or owned) to ensure that facilities are operated in a safe, healthy, secure, sustainable, efficient and cost-effective manner, supporting IFC staff globally.
• Portfolio Management: Site evaluation and selection for office relocations, expansions, contractions, or new locations. Evaluation and negotiation of lease conditions and terms – financial and operational.
• Play a leadership and advisory role to clients and colleagues in handling complex real estate, project management and facilities management tasks and issues.
• Contract Management: Reviewing and advising on various facilities/property management related contracts.
• Data & Metrics: Broad oversight to ensure quality and relevance of metrics driven data gathering and maintenance of data for business decision analysis on an ongoing basis for all appropriate aspects of real estate, facilities management and procurement operations and regular reporting.
• Communications: Ongoing robust internal communications to manage internal client expectations aimed at improving efficiencies and service quality for IFC staff globally.
• Collaboration: Ongoing coordination with the WBG’s GSD Real Estate function for collaborative and collocated projects with mutually agreed upon deliverables.
• All tasks as defined in the IFC Corporate Real Estate Competency Framework.
• Demonstrated experience of working in large complex organizations with international presence in emerging markets.
• At least 12 years in a corporate setting mainly in an international location.
• Proven Real Estate and Project management experience of complex/challenging projects in emerging/growth markets with technical knowledge related to leasing, building operations, architecture, mechanical and electrical engineering to manage and direct a virtual team across the globe.
• Current/Past team/people leadership at a distributed/matrixed/international level.
• Strong understanding of finance, data/metrics and budgeting is desired.
• Results oriented, client focus, practical, common-sense approach to problem solving is critical.
• Business orientation with financial skills including ability to evaluate cost/benefit and develop business cases for decision-making and strong proposal writing skills.
• A solid track record of developing underlying real estate and procurement management systems and reporting and applying data to drive good decision making.
• Extensive knowledge and experience of process, systems and policies improvement to achieve operational excellence and client satisfaction.
• Excellent people management skills and openness to feedback, new ideas and ability to help guide staff to solutions for problems.
• Strong diplomatic and interpersonal skills with proven ability to work effectively across cultures.
• Ability to establish “partner” relationships with the clients and take personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
• Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills in English. Strong report/proposal writing skills.
• Creative problem-solving and flexibility in thinking with a solid track record of simplification, optimization and value engineering.
• Strong client and business orientation with consultative skills and demonstrated ability to understand, synthesize and define business needs.
• Recognized team player who collaborates, works well with others, with the ability to hear others’ ideas and make changes in plans or thinking as a result (as appropriate).
• Ability to handle complexity and ambiguity and deal with competing priorities and tight deadlines.
• Highly developed personal integrity and ethical values; willingness to risk expressing beliefs about what is right, even in face criticism or disagreement.
• Sound business judgment and demonstrated ability to deliver results under stressful timetables and environment.
• Ability to develop innovative solutions and challenge the “status quo” to improve processes focused on end results.
• Proven ability to work in challenging markets and a diverse client base.
• Experience with all aspects of interior fit-out projects – defining requirements, space planning, architectural systems, building systems and equipment, furniture systems, finishes, infrastructure, etc.
• Experience preparing construction plans, specifications, cost estimates and contract documents, coordinating inputs from relevant service providers and outside vendors on all aspects of a project through final completion
• Ability to review and approve building renovation designs to ensure alignment with building systems and equipment, sustainability principles, finish standards and compliance with fire, life and safety codes and procedures, etc.
• Manage the unit staff, including the recruitment, performance evaluation, mentoring, coaching and career development of staff (in conjunction with other managers, where applicable)
• Meet Bank Group-wide competencies for the GG grade level.
Technical Skills, Experience and Education:
• Advanced degree in Real Estate, Architectural, Facilities Management, Project Management, Engineering, or similar closely related field with a minimum of at least 12 years in a corporate setting, including at an international location.
• Licensed/Certified Architect/Engineer/Project Management /Real Estate Professional/Facilities/Audit Professional Certifications .
• AutoCAD or similar architectural software literacy would be a plus.
• Tririga/Clarity or similar project management software literacy would be desired.
• Excellent working knowledge of key MS office tools (Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint).
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.