With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
EDF Global Climate Programme
EDF’s Global Climate Programme is working with policymakers, regulators, entrepreneurs and other key stakeholders to promote market-based solutions that will accelerate the transition to a clean, low-carbon energy economy. EDF Europe is well placed to exploit near term opportunities to deliver emissions reductions in Europe and also to leverage European experience and influence to reduce emissions globally. We combine expert knowledge of the European policy and political landscape with an extensive first-hand experience in other parts of the world. Using our tried and tested ‘ways that work’ we can help speed the transition to a climate safe economy with multiple benefits for European and global citizens.
This position will focus on the decarbonisation of international shipping. Specific attention will be paid to developments related to the mitigation policy development at the European Union and the International Maritime Organization. Your work will help secure robust emissions reduction policies for international aviation and shipping.
Based in Brussel, you will develop our EU-focused work and serve as a point of contact with EU agencies and stakeholders. As a key member of the team, working independently to autonomously develop policies to achieve the Programme goals and report back to the rest of the team based in London. Through your Brussel’s network, you will build EDF Europe’s capacity to engage on low carbon transition on local, national and international level.
With your key attention to detail, you will conduct rigorous research and analysis, informing the development of EDF policy position, engage with policy representatives and build new collaborations with NGOs, agencies and other partners. Responding to emerging Brussels and EU low carbon policy developments, you will adapt internal Programme planning to meet resource needs and provide expert guidance to internal stakeholders on maritime and shipping issues.
You will be highly motivated, able to deliver results without close supervision with a rigorous analytic approach to policy work.
The Manager has no line management responsibilities and will report to the Director International Shipping and Carbon Pricing (based in London). The successful candidate will work closely with colleagues in Europe, the United States and in other overseas offices.
- Leading our work on the inclusion of shipping in the EU Emissions Trading System and other EU policy initiatives related to international shipping
- Management of shipping work at EU level, communication with EU bodies and Brussels-based stakeholders. Leading our involvement in the European Sustainable Shipping Forum
- Management of specific projects and communication with project partners, including the P4G project in Indonesia, Mexico and South Africa
- Leading our upcoming projects such as our representation at the COP26 in Glasgow 2021
- Prepare timely in-house analyses for senior staff, EDF executive team, and other Programmes throughout the organisation
- Write white papers summarising research for a broader audience, along with public communications including policy papers and recommendations, presentations, Op-Ed pieces and blog posts
- Prepare information to respond to inquiries from a variety of stakeholders
- Manage social media, making sure there are up-to-date information on websites and keep the EDF Europe twitter account updated with periodic shipping news
- In conjunction with development staff, identify fundraising opportunities, participate in developing funding proposals and interim reports and, when appropriate, manage smaller funding proposals
- Apply excellent organisational, communication, and planning skills in preparing correspondence and reports, responding to requests for information, and helping to coordinate activities among team members
- Manage specific projects and case studies
- Represent the EDF climate team internally and ensure it is aligned with the wider climate team and other programmes as appropriate
- Represent EDF at external events, including at national and international negotiations.
- Assist in implementing initiatives such as working with countries to understand the opportunities that arise from the switch to alternative fuels for shipping
- Manage our relationship with external stakeholders
Skills & Experience
You will be highly motivated with a rigorous analytic approach to policy work with excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Educated to MSc level in environmental science, political science, economics, law or related fields or equivalent professional experience
- Proven record of professional experience
- Solid knowledge of climate-related policies at EU level and main trends of GHG mitigation efforts in Europe and EU. Familiarity with the developments at UN level, particularly in the IMO
- Good understanding of processes and negotiations in European Union, familiarity with key stakeholders
- Experience interacting and working with EU institutions
- Knowledge of European politics and policy landscape and of European policy makers and influencers
- Experience working and networking with policymakers and national/international representatives
- Results-oriented, self-starter with the ability to think strategically and carry out responsibilities in a timely and effective manner
- Experience working independently with little supervision to delivery results
- Exceptional personal organisation and attention to detail
- Excellent organisational skills, including ability to handle and prioritise multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Excellent research and analytical skills and an interest in performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience
- Ability to work independently and to support a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritise, and organise diversified workload
- Strong computer proficiency, including experience with Excel, Word, and Internet research
- Proficiency in English is essential; fluency in another EU language is desirable
This role is 100% remote, based in Brussels, Belgium. You must have the right to live and work in the EU when applying. As a secondary location, London may be considered, for which you must have the right to live and work in the UK when applying.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.