SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization. Founded in the Netherlands nearly 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our advisors work with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge, and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services. SNV works to empower people to break the cycle of poverty. SNV provides innovative solutions in Agriculture, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, and Renewable Energy in over 25 developing countries worldwide. For more information, please refer to our website: http://www.snv.org
SNV is implementing an Urban Sanitation Programme in Southern Bangladesh over the past 6 years, through a multi-stakeholder’s coordination mechanism under the leadership of Local Government Institutions (City Corporations and Municipalities) to address service delivery challenges in Faecal Sludge Management (FSM). The project aim is to facilitate a decisive shift in sector thinking, culture and practice through close alignment with respected sector agencies and work collectively with government and local partners to address underlying systemic sector issues that limit sector development.
Under the Urban Sanitation and Hygiene for Health and Development (USHHD) approach, we work in 5 major components:
Sanitation demand creation and behavioural change communication;
Strengthening sanitation supply chain development;
Improving WASH Governance and multi-stakeholder sector development;
Sustainable Finance and Investment; and
Introducing environmentally safe treatment and re-use technologies.
Currently, the portfolio for Urban Sanitation/WASH sector of SNV in Bangladesh is composed of 3 projects: 1) City wide Inclusive Sanitation Engagement (CWISE), funded by The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), in Khulna City Corporation, Kushtia Paurashava and Jhenaidah Paurashava; 2) WASH SDG Programme, a multi-country intervention funded by DGIS (Netherlands Government) that in the country is being implemented in Jashore Paurashava, Benapole Paurashava and Gazipur City Corporation; and, 3) Municipalities Network Advocacy on Sanitation in South Asia Project, implemented by UCLG-ASPAC and funded by BMGF, to support Municipal Association of Bangladesh (MAB) and Nepal’s association, to strengthen FSM sector in the municipalities.
Under the project, in Khulna City Corporation and Jhenaidah Municipality, an Integrated Municipal Information System (IMIS) for city level service delivery and monitoring mechanism is established. Based on spatial data and geolocation, SNV requires regular analysis which will be the base for decision making process.
Purpose of the Job
This position is part of a cross cutting component on monitoring management, to provide expertise and advice on GIS mapping, location-based decision-making processes and evaluation based on spatial data to fulfil the objectives of the IMIS initiatives and other data management.
GIS and data Coordinator will have the responsibility to lead and ensure the management of GIS data, IMIS system and other project data. The below are the specific tasks:
- Support effective decision making process through GIS data management and analysis.
- Manage, analyse and inform/report to the team about the spatial data under each project. The responsibility also includes regular monitoring of the data generated tagged with geolocation.
- Support SNV monitoring and evaluation processes led by M&E advisor.
- Support the preparation of reports to donors, SNV and others.
- Contribe to the preparation of outcome assessment reports developed by SNV.
- Support in the Monitoring Surveys to be conducted by consultants or SNV.
- Coordinate field data collection teams.
- Design and conduct necessary studies.
- Collection of regular field data and reporting.
- Manage all monitoring data of the programme in a proper way to be accessible and understandable and easy to extract for reporting.
- Manage GIS data for the cities and provide required data to team members or consultants in demand bases, and able to make some analysis.
- Any other responsibility assigned by supervisor.
- Provide executive support in knowledge development for the programme.
- Contribute to the SNV WASH knowledge activities.
- Develop geolocation data-based infographics, charts, information presentation etc.
- Take part in local, national and regional events as appropriate.
Coordination & Component Management
- Coordinate with advisors in the programme to develop better practices of IMIS.
- Facilitate and coordinate interaction with other sector stakeholders.
- Support content development for external communications.
The above list of job responsibilities is not exclusive or exhaustive and the position will be required to undertake any assigned responsibilities assigned by his/her Supervisor as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the position.
- University degree (Bachelors or Masters) in regional planning or other relevant study.
- Experience in working in WASH or FSM sector is strongly preferred.
- General working experience of at least 3 years.
- Experience on managing data management or monitoring tools is mandatory, like GIS software, SPSS, etc. Without GIS expertise, this position will remain vacant.
- Experience working with Bangladeshi Local Governance Institutions (City Corporations and Paurashavas) and other Government Institutions (Schools, Heath, District Level, etc.) will be given preference.
- Flexibility to handle varied and demanding tasks and ability to balance priorities, thrive under pressure and juggle a multitude of details in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently, as well as member of a team, and to be flexible to
accommodate the needs of stakeholders.
- Ability to lead the assignment and the team with remote supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and Bangla.
Duty station: Khulna with frequent travel to other programme areas (Jashore, Benapole, Jhenaidah, Kushtia and Gazipur including SNV Country Office at Dhaka)
Contract Duration: This is a short term position for 10 months
Expected Joining Date: As soon as possible latest by 1 March 2020.
Working Hours: Full time (minimum of 40 hours per week)
Salary & Benefits: The total salary package (basic salary + all benefits) will range between BDT 104,093 and BDT 117,652 per month, depending on the selected candidate’s work experience.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position. If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by submitting a brief letter of motivation (1 page) and your CV (not more than 3 pages). Your CV should highlight your prior work achievements; it should not be a list of your current or prior job responsibilities. Please apply through SmartRecruiters by 13 February 2020..
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Any form of solicitation by phone or other means will be treated as disqualification of the candidate. SNV is an equal employment provider.