With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Gift Processing team processes over 180,000 gifts annually, provides support to multiple departments and performs analysis on all revenue-related data, in addition to many other tasks. The Gift Processing Specialist is part of the Development Operations team and reports to the Senior Manager, Gift Processing. This role will be required to assist with database (containing approx. 3 million records) maintenance and coordination of associated projects. They will also work closely with staff from Development, IT and Finance on matters involving gift allocation, adjustments, reconciliation, documentation and training.
We are seeking an individual who has a strong work ethic, is flexible and a team player. The successful candidate should have fundraising software, query reporting and database systems management experience.
This role will be located in our offices in NYC.
- Collect daily donations received by EDF and evaluate, sort and total all donations to create daily gift batches.
- Execute daily gift processing – receiving, verifying (identifying), keying, and batching of all types of gifts. These include cash, checks, credit cards, wires, stocks, outright gifts, recurring, matching gifts and stock gifts among others.
- Entry and management of pledge payment schedules.
- Perform all adjusting entries as requested by Development.
- Web gift processing that includes daily file retrieval, verification, mapping and committing in Salesforce.
- Produce and or run various reports pertaining to the gift entry process for the purpose of gift entry validation and other audit needs.
- Process gift refunds and returns.
- Train temporary hires and new team members on donor database and gift processing procedures.
- Maintain honor and tribute gifts to ensure timely recognition of donor gifts.
- Create campaign codes as requested by Development.
- Create or modify Account and Contact data records as needed.
- Review documentation for all donations $5,000 and over to ensure accuracy of critical information captured, including donor intent and restriction.
- Prepare deposit logs and process daily check deposits using remote deposit capture technology.
- Generate, review and distribute donor receipts for individual major gift donors.
- Monitor the Gift Processing team inbox and complete requests made by other departments.
- Assist Senior Specialist, Gift Processing on month-end close process and data hygiene projects.
- Troubleshoot issues as needed.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- College degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least 3 years of gift processing experience.
- Working knowledge of Salesforce a plus.
- Knowledge of accounting fundamentals and reconciliation a plus.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Excel and query reporting tools.
- Ability to multi-task, work with changing priorities and meet strict deadlines.
- Must be self-motivated, creative, and attentive to details.
- Excellent communication skills with enthusiasm for team approach and problem-solving.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.