Gender, Youth, Equity and Social Inclusion (GYESI) Specialist
SIBOL is a $22 million, 5 year project that aims to improve the way that natural resources and the areas from which these are derived are governed and address the drivers of natural resources insecurity by addressing both the supply of and demand for natural resources. The Activity is expected to help reduce environmental crimes and unsustainable environmental practices, sustainably manage the natural resources sector, and improve the governance of natural resources in the country.
The GYESI Specialist will provide experienced direction, oversight, and leadership with regards to the SIBOL project’s gender strategy and action plan that they will maintain. S/he will work closely with the Chief Of Party, Deputy Chief Of Party and technical team to ensure that gender, youth, equity and social inclusion (GYESI) aspects are incorporated, well-developed, and progress in all technical activities, particularly communications activities that promote social behavior change. This role will also ensure the SIBOL teams in Manila and the site offices are familiar with GYESI interventions and provide any necessary trainings – both to staff as well as relevant stakeholders – to imbue the philosophy and skillset of incorporating gender into decision-making throughout the project lifecycle. The GYESI Specialist will also work closely with the Monitoring Evaluaiton and Learning Specialist in order to capture efforts of gender and youth inclusion as part of a learning agenda or learning questions, as well as any relevant project indicators.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight, and integration of GYESI approaches across program activities
- Use GYESI analysis to purposefully engage women, youth and marginalized groups in all activities and result areas, including economic valuation and incentives design and as forest monitors, journalists, and LE officers
- Develop and lead the implementation of the project’s GYESI strategy and action plan, including the adaptation and development of tools and approaches to support the strategy and action plan;
- Work with senior project management to raise awareness and capacity of project staff on issues related to GYESI, and to expand gender content of the project
- Identify target groups through social assessments, ensure participatory approaches are used and social mapping is conducted, and stakeholders involved understand the importance of such assessments;
- Orient and train staff to work with women, the youth and disadvantaged groups
- Provide guidance and support to field level staff for promotion of inclusion, and ensure capacity is built at local level to sustain change;
- Assess the representation and active participation of women and DAGs in project related stakeholder groups (such as community and local governance bodies) and make recommendations for engaging these groups;
- Support the integration of GYESI activities within the work plan; lead the design of gender sensitive performance indicators and GYESI specific tools in work planning to promote gender balance in the project implementation;
- Identify potential opportunities for gender inclusion and design and implement solutions that promote gender mainstreaming;
- Support development of GYESI sensitive behavior change communication activities and messages;
- Works closely with M&E team to ensure that GYESI issues are reflected in M&E plan, frameworks, and reports to assess whether the GYESI objectives are being met;
- Work closely with project staff to build their understanding of gender issues;
- Ensure GYESI issues reflected in partner agreements and evaluations.
- Support the partners in mainstreaming GYESI in their policies, management systems and programs and provide training and education in implementing the policies.
- Lead a GYESI assessment for the projet, including desk review, coordination with all stakeholders, key informant interviews, focus group discussions and report writing.
- Master’s degree in social sciences, preferably sociology/anthropology, social development, or gender studies.
- At least 6 years of experience designing and implementing gender or GYESI plans for projects in SE Asia or the Philippines.
- Demonstrated experience in GYESI issues and design and implementation of GYESI activities in SE Asia or the Philippines.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with USAID, government counterparts at all levels, local organizations, community groups, and other program partners and stakeholders.
- Ability to conceptualize, plan, guide, and implement work with demonstrated experience in mainstreaming GYESI.
- Proven experience leading the gender development and planning for a donor-funded program of this size and geographic expansion
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English