The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to the displaced and refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC has been working in Pakistan for over 30 years, and manages and delivers large complex programs to meet needs in health, education, protection, environmental health and livelihoods for displaced, poor & affected communities. IRC works in partnership with local government and non-governmental organizations and currently works in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Sindh provinces.
As a Member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the Gender Specialist advises and supports IRC Country Office including programs and operations equally to narrow the gender gap and to ensure that gender cross-cut all of our policies, procedure, program strategies, designs and implementation. The Gender Specialist will devise Gender Mainstreaming Strategy in operations and programs aimed at narrowing gender gap in-line with the IRC’s commitments in its Strategic Action Plan. The Gender Specialist ensures the continuous learning and improvements made in our programming and operations; further ensures the institutional capacity strengthening of the IRC Pakistan Program and its implementing partner organizations. The Gender Specialist advocates for and represents IRC in his/her area of expertise and at relevant coordination forums. S/he will work under the guidance and direct supervision of the Country Director.
- Develop a Gender Mainstreaming Strategy with focus on practice in operations and in programs
- Contribute to the design and implementation of IRC programs in Pakistan to effectively mainstream gender
- Review IRC programs using Gender Mainstreaming Strategy (including Gender Markers) and establish a concrete and thorough 1-year action plan for immediate, medium-term and longer-term changes
- Provide technical leadership for gender mainstreaming, including inputs in project design, development and planning
- Incorporate gender considerations into the Performance Monitoring Plan, with an emphasis on designing indicators that will drive high-value program activities
- Implement the Gender Mainstreaming Strategy through policy and practice in operations and through guidelines and SOPs in programs
- Identifies, promote and follow up concrete steps that bring about reduction in the gender gap internally in IRC Pakistan
- Maintains a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners
- Develop training curricula and materials on gender specific issues
- Training and capacity building support for IRC staff and partner organizations on gender issues
- Promote awareness and implementation of IASC Gender and GBV Guidelines in IRC programs in Pakistan
- Visit field and programs to complete a gender analysis with program beneficiaries and support the implementation of Gender Mainstreaming Strategy
- Support regular project and country program/operations for gender audits and action planning
- Support the Technical Coordinators & Project/Program Managers for gender mainstreaming in their respective sectors/projects through technical backstopping and training
- Support HR to analyze the recruitment and organizational development strategy and policies for gender equality and equity
- Work closely with the Senior Management Team to cultivate a gender sensitive culture in the organization by proposing and implementing concrete actions
- Strengthen the capacities of the overall staff in understanding gender-specific dynamics and responding to respective gender concerns and needs in a wise and mature manner
- Work closely with the finance and supply chain leadership to ensure gender equality and equity through policy level changes and by proposing changes in tactical planning and practices
- Support the SMT in taking effective strategic decisions with higher considerations of gender specific concerns and needs
Learning, Evaluation and Networking
- Maintain an up-to-date gender analysis of the program and operations on periodical basis
- Compilation, analysis and interpretation of gender inequality issues and statistical data, thorough research and preparation of top quality analysis and reports
- Participate and represent IRC at relevant coordination structures and forums
- Public and policy advocacy for corporate gender policies, the Millennium Development Goals, pro-poor and equitable economic growth by participating in relevant forums, conferences and trainings
- Management of events and publications on gender issues
- Maintain an up-to-date and thorough understanding of gender issues related to program components
- Capture innovation in mainstreaming gender and share learning with senior staff in country, technical unit in region and HQ to contribute in IRC’s global learning and replicating the good practices across the globe
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: Country Director
Position directly supervises: N/A
Other Internal and/or external contacts
- Operations: HR, Supply Chain and Finance
Programs: DDP, Partnership, MEAL, Technical Coordinators, Program/Project Managers, Provincial Heads, Award Management Unit
- Key Coordination Forums (humanitarian and development), other I/NGOs, Government, Local Partners and Donors
Master’s degree in International Development, Gender Studies, International Relations, Social Sciences or related field with specific focus on gender
Minimum 06 Years of relevant experience of gender mainstreaming in a strategic and leadership role
Skills and Competencies
- Has ability to provide technical direction to projects, ensure high quality outputs and impact, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- Effectively applies knowledge of gender issues to solve range of problems
- Demonstrates ability to assess needs within agreed upon duties and considers course of action best to meet those needs.
Familiarity with monitoring and evaluation frameworks and practices in a development/stabilization/humanitarian response work environment
Strong knowledge and skills in specific technical area/function and general understanding of concepts and principles of related technical areas/functions.
Solid knowledge of standards for the technical area/field, operational processes and procedures, work and task flow.
Experience in gender sensitive project design, proposal development, and fundraising
Demonstrated expertise in developing and applying gender analysis and program design tools
Effectiveness in bridging practical guidance and conceptual frameworks
Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to develop positive relationships with program team members
Ability to work with multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams
Excellence in oral and written communication skills in Urdu and English Languages
Able to transfer technical knowledge and skills, and transform attitudes to improve gender equality
Relevant computer software skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office)
Willingness to work under pressure and stressful situations without minimal supervision and without compromising on deadlines or quality
Strongly resilient to unfavorable situations