The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CF Foundation) and its employees embrace their commitment to its core values. These core values are the pillars on which the CF Foundation stand and will continue to sustain us as we move forward.
- Keep sight of what really matters: Our decisions are based on what is best for people with cystic fibrosis and their families.
- Aspire for excellence in all we do: We take pride in our work. We are committed to continuous learning and improvement.
- Stronger together: We collaborate and work together so that we can learn more and achieve more.
- Innovate with courage: We embrace challenges. We reach beyond boundaries in pursuit of our vision.
- Care about our people: We deeply care about each other and all who support our shared mission. We listen with respect. We support one another.
Experienced transactional attorney to serve as lead counsel for the venture philanthropy mission-related investments team. Part-time opportunity to work 20-25 hours per week from the CF Foundation’s offices in Bethesda, Maryland, primarily between the hours of 9 AM and 3 PM with some flexibility on the exact hours and workdays.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of mission-related agreements through which the CF Foundation provides support to pharmaceutical companies and other organizations searching for potential treatments and cures for cystic fibrosis. This includes, but is not limited to, drug development agreements, stock purchase agreements, convertible loan agreements, intellectual property license agreements and guarantees.
- Work as a key member of the team responsible for determining optimal deal structures and terms.
- Provide counsel on enforcing the CF Foundation’s rights under existing agreements.
- Provide advice on issues that arise as part of the due diligence process.
- Perform other legal work as requested by the CF Foundation’s Chief Legal Officer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Law degree with a minimum of 8 years of sophisticated transactional law firm experience, including experience serving as lead counsel on transactions involving pharmaceutical or other life sciences companies.
- Experience in providing counsel on investing in venture capital funded companies.
- Experience in providing counsel on investing in publicly traded companies.
- Experience with patent law and patent licensing is helpful, but not required.
- Sophisticated negotiator with strong business acumen.
- Solid understanding of the drug development process.
- Ability to build rapport, trust and strong relationships with colleagues and key stakeholders in a highly collaborative environment.
- Skilled at anticipating issues and solving complex, nuanced problems in a manner that meets objectives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The highest degree of integrity and ethical standards.
- Normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust and temperature.
- No heavy lifting required.
- Minimal travel (e.g., 2x/yr.) to conferences and meetings, as necessary.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
The CF Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. We strive to recruit and maintain a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, physical or mental disability, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, sex, marital status, genetic information or testing, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran or any characteristic protected by law.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice
The CF Foundation is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or would like to request an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at HROps@cff.org.