Title: Food Security and Livelihoods Specialist
Location: Kenya Country Office
Reporting Relationship: Country Office Program and Sponsorship Director
The Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) Specialist will be responsible for providing technical leadership in all agriculture, food security, and livelihoods (FSL) programs in ChildFund Kenya. S/He will be responsible for translating all FSL related strategic priorities in the Country Strategic Plan into implementable actions and interventions. The holder of the position will lead the design and development of FSL programs and projects, identifying new business opportunities, and engaging with current and new donors regarding FSL activities. S/he will ensure that FSL programs implemented either directly or through local partners are of the highest technical quality through provision of regular technical oversight and support, program monitoring and reporting.
- Program Leadership and Direction
- Lead and provide technical support in the design and development of food security and livelihoods country strategy(ies), frameworks and programs interventions;
- Contribute and participate in the development of country strategic plan and related country level strategies.
- Support the socialization and cascading of the Country Strategic Plan (CSP) -FSL priorities among local partners, stakeholders and donors;
- Advise the Senior Management Team
- n FSL strategic issues, emerging opportunities and trends;
- Promote integration of FSL programs with other sectors priorities through creation of linkages and joint participatory planning processes.
- Program Management
- Oversee country FSL portfolio, support new program/project start-ups and close-out
- Support local partners in the mobilization and set-up processes for new FSL grants.
- Ensure donor requirements for data collection, reporting, and targets/achievements for FSL programs are met
- Contribute in the development of Country Annual Operating Plan and Budget (AOPB) and support local partners in the development and thorough review of their AOPB;
- Closely work with other members of the ChildFund program and Local Partner program teams to achieve FSL program objectives;
- Monitor program expenditure and regularly liaise with finance staff to address spending issues;
- Carry out program monitoring and review to identify program constraints and challenges during implementation, propose solutions and accordingly oversee implementation of proposed changes;
- Ensure all FSL interventions are completed on time, within budget and that they achieve their objectives
- Develop technical reports (internal and external) and proposals reflective of government, organization and donor guidelines, ensuring timely submission to line management.
- Program Design and Development
- Work closely with the grants team in the design and formulation of new proposals providing technical and budgetary input throughout the program development and design phase on FSL;
- Identify, initiate, and lead on new potential FSL funding opportunities (e.g. consortiums, new calls for proposals)
- Lead scoping missions, engage with new donors on FSL opportunities and identify potential new business opportunities for new FSL programs.
- Ensure FSL programmes learnings are documented and shared
- Program Representation
- Participate in the FSL Forums, technical working groups, networks and other coordination activities through active reporting and communication with field and national level focal points
- Represent and promote ChildFund Kenya FSL programs externally with relevant stakeholders, including national and county Governments, donors and NGO partners.
- Child Safeguarding:
- Remain alert and responsive to any child safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills which will enable you to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct yourself in a manner consistent with the Child Safeguarding Policy-
- Reinforce and ensure compliance with policies and procedures in child safeguarding
- A degree in Agriculture, Rural development, Social Economics or other related professional field; a master’s degree an added advantage
- At least 3 years of field experience in program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of FSL programs.
- Strong technical background and experience in agricultural production, value chain management, microfinance/credit, and marketing.
- Good understanding of donor policies and procedures related to FSL programs’ monitoring, impact evaluation and reporting mechanisms (USAID, EU, DFID, UN Agencies etc.).
- Good negotiations and communication skills; excellent writing skills
- Ability to deliver high quality work within tight deadlines
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills.
- Excellent facilitation and coordination skills.
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity of staff and partners.
- Experience in managing and implementing cash transfers, voluntary Saving and Loan Schemes and understanding of FSL in emergency contexts;
- English proficiency
The FSL Specialist can draw on the support of Country Office team members in the development of his/her responsibilities. Preferably these Country Office team members provide input into recruitment, performance planning and evaluation. The primary Country Office members for this position will be:
- Program and Sponsorship Director, Child Protection & Advocacy Manager, Sponsorship Manager, Partnership Portfolio Manager, Program Quality Manager, Program Assistant
ChildFund International is committed to safeguarding the interests, rights, and well-being of children with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for children.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
All offers of employment are made contingent upon the successful completion of applicable background and reference checks. The position is open to Kenya citizens. Only short listed candidates will be contacted