Land O’Lakes Venture37 is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit committed to helping communities around the world build economies by strengthening local agriculture, helping agribusinesses create jobs and linking farmers to markets. Since 1981, it has implemented over 315 integrated dairy, livestock and crops development programs in nearly 80 countries — creating lasting impact by linking farmers, businesses, and the public and private sector in local and global contexts. Land O’Lakes Venture37’s long-standing affiliation with Land O’Lakes, Inc. sets it apart. Land O’Lakes, Inc. is one of America’s largest farmer-owned cooperatives. It supports Land O’Lakes Venture37 project implementation with nearly 100 years of expertise in dairy, animal nutrition, crop inputs and agricultural insights and technologies. This gives Land O’Lakes Venture37 development projects a unique global view of agriculture, food and the power of well-functioning market systems. Land O’Lakes, Inc. supports these efforts as part of its enterprise purpose of Feeding Human Progress at home and around the world.
The USAID Trade Reform and Development in Egypt (TRADE) Activity is a five-year, $36.3 million contract implemented by Palladium with technical support from Land O’Lakes Venture37 and a consortium of other international and local subcontractors. The TRADE Activity will increase Egypt’s international trade by increasing exports from SMEs, and in particular New and Expanding Export-Ready Enterprises (NEEREs). This will be achieved by addressing the constraints that impede the competitiveness of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs). Over the life of the contract, the TRADE Activity will attain the following three Results:
1) Enhanced Export Capacity of SMEs, in particular NEEREs;
2) Strengthened Public and Private Trade-Support Institutions; and,
3) Improved Trade and Investment Policy, Regulatory and Institutional Environment.
Serving as a key member of TRADE’s Result 3 Team, the Food Safety Capacity Building Advisor will be responsible for leading the implementation of TRADE’s technical activities with the Egyptian National Food Safety Authority (NFSA) and other stakeholders to improve food safety and increase trade. The Food Safety Capacity Building Advisor will spearhead the design and management of technical assistance activities that respond to the evolving needs of NFSA and support their transition towards a modern regulator of food safety. This position will coordinate closely with the NFSA and other development projects supporting food safety in Egypt to ensure TRADE’s interventions augment on-going and planned initiatives. The Food Safety Capacity Building Advisor will contribute to TRADE’s annual work plans and reporting documents as required by USAID and TRADE’s Chief of Party.
- Manage the implementation of TRADE’s technical assistance activities with the NFSA and food safety initiatives with other stakeholders.
- Ensure that technical assistance is delivered on time and in accordance with TRADE’s Annual Work Plan, consultant’s scope of work, and / or activity plan. Inform TRADE’s management of any difficulties in achieving agreed upon deliverables and support troubleshooting.
- Coordinate with the existing USDA TAIB project and other donor funded programs engaged in food safety to maximize TRADE’s impact.
- Draft activity plans and scopes of work for consultants that are responsive to the emerging needs of NFSA.
- Provide technical direction for food safety activities and broad input into the development of TRADE’s Annual Work Plans and reporting deliverables.
- Collect impact data in accordance with TRADE’s Performance Management Plan (PMP) and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) requirements.
- Monitor activity budgets to ensure that expenditures are within approved budget parameters and meet appropriate financial reporting and regulatory requirements.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree is required. A degree in Food Science, Food Safety, Business Administration or a related field is preferred.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in food safety and/or donor funded projects, or five (5) years of experience in food safety and/or donor funded projects with an advanced degree in a relevant field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the food safety sector in Egypt, particularly with key governmental stakeholders including the National Food Safety Authority, Chamber of Food Industry, and Food Export Council.
- Experience working on an international development project is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to adaptively manage technical implementation of project activities.
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in taking initiative and resolving difficult situations.
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Office.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Arabic.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted.
Land O’Lakes never requests money or payment from candidates for any position type. Please report any such requests to Land O’Lakes.