Position: Finance Officer
Department: PMI Impact Malaria
Based in: Washington, DC
Reports to: Finance Manager
Travel: Up to 20% travel
Pending donor funding
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using it’s global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
Impact Malaria Program
The US Presidents Malaria Initiative (PMI) Impact Malaria project is PMI’s flagship global malaria service delivery project, helping to improve the quality and increase the delivery of malaria diagnosis and treatment services in up to 27 countries around the world. PMI Impact Malaria is a USAID contract hosted and led by PSI as the prime contractor.
PMI Impact Malaria works with national malaria control programs to help tackle these challenges by:
- Closing the gaps in malaria service delivery to get the right medicine, with the correct diagnosis, to patients in need, in the timeliest manner.
- Unlocking the potential of key drug-based approaches, by helping countries to introduce, implement, and scale-up proven innovations to move countries forward in their elimination efforts, according to each country’s unique malaria situation.
- Strengthening malaria health systems and the use of data for decision-making to link operational research and country-led dialogue with global technical leadership for the means of accelerating service delivery improvements and advancing key learnings.
The PMI Impact Malaria (IM) team is a results focused, multi-disciplined and multi-cultured team, based out of Washington DC, working through PSI country offices as well as through our partners Jhpiego, MCDI and UCSF.
The US President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) Impact Malaria project is PMI’s flagship global malaria service delivery project, helping to improve the quality and increase the delivery of malaria diagnosis and treatment services in up to 27 countries around the world. PMI Impact Malaria is a USAID contract hosted and led by PSI as the prime contractor.
The PMI Impact Malaria (IM) project under Population Services International (PSI) seeks a Finance Officer (FO), contingent on funding, to support the financial management of our multi-country, multi-million dollar USAID contract. The FO should have experience managing finances on donor funded projects, producing accurate budgets and financial reports, be a team player, and have a systems-oriented approach
- Work closely with the program and country teams to provide support in the preparation and revision of annual project budgets. This includes accurate reporting of actuals, accruals, and costing of budget inputs;
- Work closely with the Finance Manager to support subcontractors through budget reviews, financial monitoring, and invoicing;
Financial Analysis and Reporting
- Produce monthly financial reports and conduct reviews with country teams to closely monitor expenditure and obligations and work closely with the country teams to identify financial or operational trends and risks as they arise;
- Conduct monthly review of subcontractor invoices to establish the allowability of costs. This includes performing monthly documentation audits and coordinating with PSI Grants and Contracts and PSI Finance departments to resolve issues and mitigate risks associated with questioned costs;
- Provide quality control for financial management of subawards including reviewing and processing subrecipient invoices and cash requests, with more in-depth monitoring, as required
- Participate in monthly Country Support Team calls and Financial reviews to ensure financial information is clearly communicated for effective decision making;
- Assist the Finance Manager in reviewing the donor invoice including the preparation of monthly and quarterly financial reports for submission to the donor;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with country teams and HQ departments;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with Subcontractors and the Prime recipient (PSI)
- Provide necessary critical thinking to ensure issues are identified and raised in a timely manner
- Conduct field visits, including leading trainings, conducting or responding to audits, providing input to work planning, and performing other operational tasks;
- Other duties as assigned
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; including 3 years of USAID contract or award management experience
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time, as required
- Expert Excel user, including pivot tables and advanced functions; familiarity with data query tools is helpful (Access, SQL)
- Demonstrated analytical skills and financial expertise including experience in the preparation and review of budgets and financial reports
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in English
- References will be required
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a backround check.
- PSI is unable to consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
Icing on the cake
- French professional proficiency
- An understanding of USAID rules and regulations (FAR)
- Advanced degree (MBA, CPA, or equivalent) preferred or certification in accounting or finance
- Experience with financial management software such as QuickBooks Enterprise or Infor Lawson a plus
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.