The IRC is one of the leading providers of high quality programming for refugees resettling to the United States. The mission of the IRC’s US Programs (USP) Department is to create opportunities for refugees to survive and thrive in America. The IRC’s USP Department currently provides services in 26 U.S. cities and through the IRC’s Resettlement Support Center (RSC) in East Asia. The USP portfolio has grown to encompass a spectrum of support in five program outcome areas with numerous local partners, hundreds of corporate, foundation, and government donors, and thousands of individual givers. The IRC resettles over 10,000 refugees on an annual basis, has a budget of $89 million, and has over 850 staff and 3,500 volunteers.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Finance Manager will control and manage the implementation of the accounting systems in the field office, and collect and process IRC’s financial data in order to provide management, donors, grantors, creditors, and others with timely, accurate and understandable information. The NJOR has a current budget of $2.5+ million with oversight of multiple sub-awards and sub-contracts. The Finance Manager reports to the Statewide Coordinator of Refugee Services.
- Ensure office compliance with IRC’s accounting policies vis-à-vis fund accounting as noted in IRC’s finance manual and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Identify requirements to aid in the management and tracking of financial reporting for all grants and funding awards.
- Review all accounting transactions to ensure proper coding and enter all transactions into IRC’s accounting software.
- Prepare monthly financial reports and submit to IRC NY as per scheduled due dates.
- Reconcile field office’s database against HQ’s database on a monthly basis and investigate and resolve difference in coordination with the Domestic Finance Officer or Regional Controller.
- Facilitate any external or internal audit.
- Prepare financial reports to various donors as per contractual obligations. Submit reports to the donors after obtaining sign off from the Statewide Coordinator of Refugee Services and/or relevant Program Manager.
- Supervise the field office’s banking arrangements.
- Monitor monthly billing and ensure timely reimbursement.
- Prepare annual and quarterly cash budgets and submit the monthly cash transfer requests.
- In coordination with the Statewide Coordinator of Refugee Services and the US Programs Budget Officer, prepare the field office’s annual operating budget as per the guidelines from US Programs Headquarters.
- Prepare “grant-specific” monthly actual to budget report and submit to appropriate colleagues for approval by signature. Submit approved reports to the Statewide Coordinator of Refugee Services.
Administration & Internal Controls
- Ensures policies and processes are in compliance with US government regulations, procedures, and requirements for assessing subgrantees, monitoring, and recording of financials.
- Oversee the financial reporting and communication with subgrantees;
- Coordinate the protection of the organization’s assets by implementing IRC’s Internal Control procedures.
- Review current service agreements for cost effectiveness and recommend changes as appropriate.
- Maintain grant and contract files for all programs and subgrantees.
- Develop and/or update office procedures to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assist the Statewide Coordinator of Refugee Services in other areas as required.
- Bachelors Degree with a minimum of five years nonprofit accounting experience;
- Previous experience working with federal grants preferred;
- Solid computer-based accounting skills, including Sun Systems, spreadsheets and various other financial related software programs;
- Proficient in general office software programs like MS Word, Excel, Email, and Internet;
- Proven ability to work as a team member in a cross-cultural environment;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively; and
- Ability to effectively work with HQ through telephone, email and other correspondence.