Starting Date: 04/01/2020
The Bantwana Initiative of World Education (WEI/Bantwana) seeks a qualified candidate for the role of Finance Director based in Malawi for an anticipated USAID-funded program to reduce the vulnerability of orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) to HIV and GBV. WEI/Bantwana (www.bantwana.org) is a leader in the development of high quality, comprehensive OVC service delivery in high HIV prevalence countries in southern and eastern Africa. WEI/Bantwana brings a significant track record of excellence and innovation in improving access to and quality of integrated OVC care and support. It focuses on strengthening coordination and harmonization of care, protection and support services across the HIV continuum of response, for OVC households from community to national level.
The Finance Director is responsible for ensuring that the project functions efficiently and effectively in all financial, administrative, and operational matters. S/he ensures that the project consistently and correctly implements sound financial, contractual, and administrative operating systems, and that project activities are implemented in compliance with the USAID award regulations and with World Education/Bantwana policies. S/he collaborates with the members of the Project Management Team and works closely with the Chief of Party and partners to implement approaches and procedures and address management issues. The Finance Director will report to the Chief of Party. The selection of the applicant is subject to USAID approval. Salary commensurate with experience.
- Oversee implementation of finance and administration policies and procedures of the program.
- Support and supervise staff to carry out day-to-day finance and administration functions.
- Ensure complete documentation, stewardship and accountability of financial transactions.
- Work with other project staff to ensure a robust budgeting and financial management and tracking system that adequately recognizes and effectively accounts for project funds.
- Oversee and review the work plan budgeting, budget tracking, and financial communication/reporting process and systems.
- Assess the financial capacities of potential grantees and provide technical assistance to the grantees as may be required.
- Organize annual external audits for the project and for grantees as required.
- Ensure management and compliance of the cooperative agreement in line with financial requirements for USAID, World Education policies, and the laws of the Malawi government.
- Review of sub-grantee reports for accuracy and compliance with the terms of the sub-grant agreement.
- Initiate and monitor the existence and application of clear robust financial policies and adequate internal controls to guide project staff and minimize the risk of non-compliance, malpractice, and human error.
- Oversee the granting process including the sub-grant management and monitoring mechanism.
- Implement human resource policies and procedures for World Education financial management.
- Provide training and/or guidance to staff on financial controls and operational systems.
- Supervise supporting Finance and Operations/Administration staff.
- Masterâ€™s degree in management or business-related field or Bachelorâ€™s degree with a minimum of 5 years professional experience in project financial and administrative management.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience, including management experience in large complex international development projects with extensive field operations. Supervisory experience required.
- Experience with USAID funded cooperative agreement administration, proficiency in locating and interpreting applicable rules and regulations.
- Extensive knowledge of USAID financial management rules, regulations, and reporting requirements.
- Demonstrated experience managing sub-grants to local organizations.
- Proficiency in relevant computer applications and databases.
- Demonstrated analytical, organizational, and written communication skills in English.
- Local Malawian candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online by 03/06/2020.
No phone calls please.
Principals only please.