Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC in Iraq
Iraq, with a long history of displacement, has seen an unprecedented rise in recent years. Of the more than 5.8 million Iraqis who fled their homes since 2014, two million remain displaced. Over four million Iraqis have returned to their area of origin. Many Iraqis have returned to areas that lack basic infrastructure, utility services and livelihood opportunities, or where explosive devices have not been cleared. Other challenges include: lack of security, community rejection, housing, property and civil documentation issues and lack of educational opportunities.
The UN estimates that more than 8 million Iraqis will need assistance in 2019, and 3.2 million children attend schools irregularly or not at all. Humanitarian agencies are asking for 569 million USD to deliver basic assistance to Iraqis (HRP 2018). With military operations against IS group having ended, the Iraqi government faces new challenges to ensure an inclusive reconstruction and reconciliation that will sustain peace.
Since 2010,NRC Iraq has been assisting internally displaced Iraqis, Syrian refugees, and host communities in Ninewa, Dohuk, Erbil, Kirkuk, Basra and Anbar. We focus on assisting the newly displaced, those in lengthy displacement in camps and those in hard-to-reach places. In 2018, NRC scaled-up programmes across Iraq to respond to the large-scale displacements and returns, especially in Anbar governorate, around Kirkuk and in Ninewa using our water and sanitation, education, camp management, legal assistance, livelihoods, camp management, and cash activities.
The purpose of the Finance Coordinator is to be responsible that the financial set up is according to NRC standard and to support programme/ project implementation Nineveh Area Office. Ensure that the accounting, monitoring and reporting are according to procedures. Review payment documents and ensure accuracy and compliance with donor requirements.
- Ensure that the accounting, monitoring and reporting are according to procedures
- Review and ensure accuracy of all the financial data entered in to Agresso.
- Review payment documents and ensure accuracy and compliance with donor requirements.
- Support project staff in financial matters especially timely payments.
- Represent finance in procurement process meetings.
- Support Area Finance Manager in following up with the budget holders on spending plans and monthly cash forecast
- Support Area Finance Manager in dealing with Hawala and Banks, their reconciliations, etc.
- Focal point between the finance manager and field finance team
- Support Area Finance Manager in preparing the new budgets and realignment of existing budgets.
- Ensure data archiving as per NRC standards and policies.
Our Ideal Candidate:
University degree in accounting, finance or equivalent is preferred, 2-3 years of experience as a Finance Coordinator in an INGO or humanitarian agency. Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile. Solid knowledge of computer software and modern accounting systems. Fluency in English and Arabic both written and verbal is must.
Contract period: 6 months (with the possibility of extension subject to funds)
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Nineveh
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information, please find attached the job description