Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East (ME) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman.
About the job
The purpose of the Regional Finance Controller position is to provide overall support on all Financial Matters within Middle East Region in close collaboration with the HQ Business Controllers and Accountant. Initiate development of a constant improvement of financial and administrative systems, procedures, guidelines etc that can lead to more efficient financial management in line with DRC guidelines. Implement relevant training on financial matters for all relevant staff in the Middle East Countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support in preparation of country offices (ME Country) projects/proposal budgets for accuracy, completeness also ensure RO and HQ contributions are provided for
- Review Budget Follow up (BFU), Co-funding setup and Budget amendments in DRC Dynamics
- Support in Countries Operational Master Budgets for accuracy, completeness and ensure gaps/surpluses are correctly addressed
Financial Compliance & Risk Management
- Conduct Financial & compliance, Desk and in-country reviews
- Support internal and external audits of ME Countries
- Track high-risk audit/compliance items and incorporate into the Review reports/ Mission Reports and share with RHOSS
- In co-ordination with HQ Business Controller, review of donor reports for accuracy, compliance with donor requirements and timeliness.
Bank management, reconciliations & Closures
- Support and facilitate completion of month end tasks by country programs
- Support Country offices in ensuring updated authorization, signature verifications, power of Attorneys and Bank mandates in place as per Operations Handbook
- Follow up and monitor monthly reconciliation overviews of balance sheet items.
Trainings & Capacity Building of staff in the region
- Conduct Finance training for non-Finance Managers for the country programs
- Capacity Building of Field Finance Staff on DRC Dynamics, financial procedures and proper supporting documentation for payments and ensure all DRC offices are following DRC, donor policies and accepted accounting principles.
- Gap filling when requested
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant experience, preferably in an international NGO with at least 5 years work experience in finance or accounting.
- Excellent knowledge in preparing major international donor reports
- Experience in providing Finance training
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics or other similar systems is an added advantage
- Possess strong analytical and conceptual skills
- Proven Team work skills
- Higher Education in Finance & Accounting
- A postgraduate degree or advanced professional qualification in Finance (Advanced Certificate in Accounting and Finance, Certificate in Business Accounting etc.)
- Fluent in written and spoken English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: 1 year
Level: Non Management, Band G
Location: Amman, Jordan
Start date: 01st Jan 2020
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 24 December 2019. Please note that we will be reviewing applications and interviewing on an ongoing basis, and the vacancy may therefore close before the deadline.
Need further information?
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website http://www.drc.org