NRC in Bangladesh
An estimated 905,000 Rohingya refugees currently reside in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, over 700,000 of whom fled extreme violence in Myanmar in late 2017. They reside in refugee camps, which are among the most congested camps in the world, with limited access to basic services, including adequate sanitation, healthcare, livelihoods and education.
The refugees have put an immense strain on the Bangladeshi’s living in Cox’s Bazar, however, despite the challenges, the Bangladeshi communities were the first to respond when the Rohingya arrived and generously continue to host the refugees, and many of the local communities are now also in need of support.
NRC has been present in Bangladesh since 2016, working through partnerships with local NGO’s. We have since scaled up our presence in Bangladesh, obtaining legal registration in November 2018, allowing us to better respond to the Rohingya influx. Alongside our partners, we provide assistance to refugees and local communities through Education programming and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) activities.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a professional in Bangladesh with a Finance background. The position provides financial management services by implementing NRC finance procedures and addressing day to day issues that arise in respect to finance functions.
Key Task and Responsibilities
- Assist with the implementation of support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Ensure compliance with NRC financial policies, internal controls and government VAT & Tax requirements
- Handle petty cash and be responsible for the operation of petty cash box in the office
- Ensure daily posting of incurred expenditures onto NRC accounting system
- Carry out monthly reconciliations on all office cash and bank accounts in Cox’s Bazaar with close collaboration with the finance Coordinator
- Assist Finance Coordinator in preparation of monthly financial reports and other financial reports
- Reports regularly to the Finance Coordinator/Manager and identify problem issues for solutions in the department
- Maintain high confidentiality of documents and information
Key Education and Skills Requirements
- Strongly prefer a university degree in Finance or Accounting
- At least 1-year experience working a finance role
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and follow-up with excellent organizational and prioritization skills
- Good knowledge of English & Rohingya Language
We welcome applications from qualified and interested candidates, particularly local candidates, from the Cox’s Bazar area. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Contract period: 12 months (extendable)
Duty Station: Cox’s Bazar
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary and allowances as per NRC’s salary scale, medical allowance, festival bonus, and annual leave
For full details of the job, please see the Job Description attached.