PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
PATH is seeking a Finance and Operations Director to manage the financial and Operations activities for its Zambia office. The Finance and Operations Director will report to the Country Director and coordinate with PATH’s Head Quarters, as applicable to establish and manage finance, accounting systems, applicable compliances, policies, IT and facilities management, to ensure that PATH’s financial and administrative systems meet the highest global standards and those of our main donors USAID and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The job holder will provide overall administration of the portfolio of PATH activities in Zambia; The Finance and Operations Director is a member of the PATH Zambia Senior Management Team and is expected to provide exceptional leadership and vision in support of all staff.
This position is a local hire and will not be eligible for expatriates.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership: Leads the shared services team in Zambia
- Supervision of shared services team (finance, procurement, accounting, IT and administration) across PATH Zambia.
- Provide technical guidance to team and training as needed
- Manage performance and development plans for team members. Setting clear objectives and tracking against those
- Is the point of contact for relations with shared services team at HQ
- Is a key member of the Senior management team in Zambia
Oversee accounting and financial management, including:
- Expenditure, procurement, and disbursement systems, ensuring compliance with policies, including authorization, documentation, and recording.
- Manage bank accounts and acting as primary liaison with banks.
- Ensure accurate, complete, and timely submission of monthly financial reports to International Accounting Services team.
- Establish and maintain adequate internal control functions in line with PATH policies.
- Oversee Payroll and local payroll taxes, ensure compliance with local government regulations.
- Submit quarterly requests for operating funds to the International Accounting Services team and manage bank balances to ensure adequate funds are available.
- Liaise with local accounting/legal firm(s) as required regarding office registration and tax-exempt status; assessment orders; track annual registration renewals and tax requirements; and maintain office registration.
- Ensure compliance with all financial and taxation laws, such as income tax, VAT, withholding tax, social security, and timely file monthly, quarterly, and annual returns.
- Discharge fiduciary responsibility related to PATH Zambia’s legal matters and advise the SMT accordingly
- Understand operating risks and advise the CD with adequate mitigation plans.
- Ensure compliance with local government statutory and regulatory audit requirements. In collaboration with Headquarters, coordinate internal and external audits.
- Review and update Standard Operating Procedures, as necessary, and implement the same.
- Review audit recommendations and ensure the corrective actions agreed are implemented. Update SMT, Finance colleagues and Managers on recurring findings.
- In consultation with the Country Director, develop and manage/monitor country office budgets for the country office and oversee project administrative officers:
- Develop annual budgets in collaboration with respective PADMs, Country Director and Headquarters.
- Assist the Country Director with monitoring Project’s Management of Obligation processes and burn rate to Obligation
- Prepare and sustain a Financial Information Reporting System which track expenditures against the approved budgets; inform Country Director & SMT of all current or anticipated budget variances and reasons thereof.
- Support the development of budgets for proposals, including costing information and liaising with appropriate Headquarters units on completing budgets in compliance with PATH processes and donor requirements.
- Offer support to the processes and preparation of monthly reports to monitor burn rates to minimize risk of over and under spend. And share these reports with the SMT.
Administration and Compliance:
- Develop, implement and manage office processes in accordance with PATH policies and procedures, donor requirements, and in compliance with local law:
- Oversee adherence to PATH’s global travel policies for Zambia staff and design, implement, and maintain Zambia-specific travel policies that complement the global policies; manage staff responsible for implementing travel policies and organizing travel; request any necessary approvals for travel.
- Maintain paper and electronic files related to administration in accordance with PATH policies on records retention.
- Oversee procurement policy, procedures, and compliance. Development and management of procurement plan.
- Oversee internal audit findings, response, and corrective action implementation.
- Develop KPIs for internal processes, dashboard, monitoring and reporting.
- Review and Manage contracts in relation to projects and administration.
- Work with PATH’s Human Resources department on human resource issues, transitions, recruitments, and onboarding.
- Oversee the management of PATH’s physical offices, assets, and staff safety and security at all PATH Zambia locations.
- Maintain and implement PATH global processes to maintain a safe, healthy, and compliant working environment for all PATH’s Zambia-based employees and visitors. Identify, report, and resolve any safety and safety violations or hazards and report to Headquarters as per PATH global policies.
- Help to build the capacity of direct reports.
- Support to ensure PATH Zambia complies with IT related policies.
- Facilitate interactions between in-country IT staff with HQ colleagues, and ensure Country IT systems are well protected, assets are tracked and identifiable.
- Guide country IT staff to ensure that field staff and field offices are adequately supported so that operations are not impeded.
- Ensure compliance with PATH’s Global Procurement Policy and establish local procurement policy, with approval from PATH HQ.
- Support the Procurement Review Committee in Zambia and ensure the same operates seamlessly.
- Contribute to procurement plans for large procurements in collaboration with Programs (RPM & PADM).
- Continuously update the vendor’s register.
- Ensures that PATH Zambia is complying and following the principles of Value for Money in each procurement.
- Facilitate for training all staff on procurement processes.
- Remain conversant with RFP & RFQ processes related to large procurements.
- Work with the PRC to ensure compliance with Segregation of Duties with regards to interaction with existing and potential vendors
Reporting and External Relations:
- Support the Country Director and project Directors/Managers in compiling information for required reports and the production of reports for government and donor stakeholders.
- With support from Donor Reporting Team and other Headquarters staff, lead the development and submission of donor-required financial reports.
- Respond to ad hoc requests from donors as necessary.
- Reporting – develop and manage a Deliverables Tracker.
- Exchange knowledge & network with Finance Staff of International Organizations to understand the economic, social and political environment of the country.
- Manage consultants’ agreements, work orders and in-country sub-agreements and sub-contracts where necessary
- Oversee the development and implementation of sub-grants and other agreements.
- Support project teams on grantees developing work plans, monitoring progress, tracking expenses, preparing reports, and facilitating grantees’ compliance with the terms of their agreements.