PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
The Malaria and Neglected Tropical Diseases Program, as a leader in the effort to end malaria- related illness and death, refines and develops tools and approaches, supports national programs, and gathers evidence and data to enable Minister of Health and national governments program to pursue malaria elimination.
PATH is recruiting a Finance and administration Officer for a pilot implementation of perennial malaria chemoprevention (PMC), previously known as intermittent preventive treatment of malaria in infants (IPTi), in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) at Kongo Central. This is a GiveWell-funded project.
A successful candidate will have a background/interest in global health, be highly motivated and hard working with exceptional organizational skills. S/he will work in close collaboration with Kongo Central Team composed with Logistic Officer and Financial Associate, Data Manager, Provincial Coordinator, HF support Researchers/agents (23), and Kinshasa Team: Study Lead, Project Manager.
Budgeting and Budget Monitoring:
- Develop budget(s) aligned to workplan activities, in collaboration with the Project Manager and Study Lead, using the assigned Project workplan and budgeting tool(s)
- Monitor the budget using monthly expense and labor reports and PATH financial systems; review unexpected and inappropriate charges; keep project manager informed of spending against the budget and highlight budget variances or any adjustments that may be required to the work plan or budget.
- Update the budget to reflect adjustments to the work plan or changes in resource requirements.
- Ensure there is proper planning and accomplishment of project activities and deliverables completion as per their due date on the workplan
- Develop quarterly cash expenditure projections with Senior PADM, in accordance with PATH procedures, for use in the PATH DRC quarterly cash request
Financial Documentation and Transaction Workflow:
- Oversee financial transaction documentation (RATs, TERs, WARs, WERs, etc.) and ensure it is complete, accurate and complies with applicable policies and internal procedures; review documentation prepared by other team members to ensure quality of work quality of work, including accuracy, attention to detail and compliance.
- Ensure that team transaction requests are submitted following PATH established processes and procedures.
- Initiate communication in advance with the Senior PADM and finance unit in cases in which established processes and procedures present a barrier to successful implementation of activities; work collaboratively to arrive at solutions which will allow effective implementation while maintaining compliance with policies and procedures.
- Facilitate processing of transactions by PATH DRC, liaising with Kinshasa Finance Officer and Finance Manager for processing and generating of payments,
Policies and Procedures:
- Maintain an active knowledge and understanding of policies and procedures; seek out guidance from the relevant authority to resolve policy questions; and recommend changes to policies and procedures when appropriate and necessary.
- Oversee financial and administrative operations for PAMC team, ensuring compliance with PATH policies and procedures.
- Advise and keep Project Manager and team informed of PATH and donor policies and procedures related to their work.
- Evaluate activity requirements and financial commitments in accordance with the project award, PATH and donor policies and procedures, and PATH cost principles.
Contracting and Contract Management (Sub agreements, subcontracts, consultancies)
- Assist program or technical staff in the development of Scope of Work documents and/or specifications for consultants, contracting, partnering and procurements.
- Prepare and compile all required documentation and submit complete package to project manager for review and submission to Study Lead copying the Senior PADM.
- Monitor progress for contract and agreement SOWs at Kongo Central, budgets, reporting and payment schedules, report progress and any concern to the PMC project in Kongo Central.
- Review consultant, contractor, partner and vendor invoices and reports; submit deliverables (financial and progress reports) to Senior PADM.
- Proceed to close-out processes and submit appropriate documentation Senior PADM, Study Lead and PATH DRC Director of Administration and Finance.
Procurement and logistic, collaborate with Logistic Officer to:
- Develop project procurement plan in accordance with Kongo Central office procurement planning process schedule
- Initiate and/or facilitate procurement process for project purchases in accordance with PATH procurement policy(ies)
- Communicate donor requirements for reporting and disposal of inventory to Procurement and/or Facilities, to ensure inventory management requirements are integrated into office inventory management process(es).
- Track and ensure accuracy of project inventory (if applicable), validating to GL records of project purchases, equipment disposal documentation, and PATH’s Fixed Assets, Project Equipment, and Inventory policy.
- Maintain inventory report on a quarterly basis for all equipment bought for the PMC project.
Implementation Support for Project Activities:
- Participate in quarterly Project/work plan and budget review meetings.
- Collaborate with Logistic Office on planning and coordination of the full range of logistics for workshops, meetings & field work exercises; Analyze options for performing field payments with more security.
- Oversee Kongo Central Office PMC project cash replenishment.
- Maintain regular communication with Senior PADM, project team, procurement and finance unit regarding project administration issues, highlighting issues that need attention, and requesting additional support as needed to implement activities successfully and in compliance with policies and procedures.