Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The purpose of the five-year, $55 million, USAID/Senegal’s Renforcement de la Littératie au Sénégal (RELIS) activity is to improve girls’ and boys’ reading outcomes in kindergarten through second grade by increasing the capacity of the Senegalese education system through institutional support and targeted assistance in nine regions of Senegal. By the end of the program, not only will greater numbers of students be able to read, but the systems at the central and regional levels for allocating teachers, books, and finances for high-quality reading instruction will measurably improve.
The USAID/Senegal RELIS program anticipates the following outcomes:
- Provide technical expertise, guidance, input, and assistance in order to strengthen the Ministry of National Education’s capacity to deliver high-quality bilingual reading instruction services in St. Louis, Fatick, Kaolack, Kaffrine, Louga, Diourbel, and Matam;
- Expand the delivery of high-quality reading instruction in national languages to two regions where it has not previously been implemented (Tambacounda and Kedougou);
- Guarantee the purchase and delivery of high-quality teaching and learning materials (TLMs) for reading instruction to all USAID-funded reading instruction work in the nine regions;
- Pilot, evaluate, and implement a model for bilingual reading instruction that complements and supports Senegal’s roll out of the Senegal Bilingual Education Integrated Framework (MOHEBS);
- Sponsor innovations and data collection in kindergartens and teacher training institutions.
The Finance and Administration Director (FD) is responsible for compliance with USAID and EDC policy and the overall financial administration of the project, including: administration of project operations, forecasting and tracking field office expenditures, overseeing daily financial management and human resources. Additionally, the FD will oversee administrative and procurement staff. Responsibilities include:
- Direct and support the Finance, Administration, Operations and Procurement staff to manage all financial and operational issues of the project, to improve procedures, increase efficiency and provide the means to accomplish project goals;
- Monitor project spending, including quarterly analysis to identify over or under spending, bring any issues to the attention of the Chief of Party for action;
- Serve as a liaison with EDC Home Office Accounting to facilitate financial management processes including: contributing to preparation of cost to complete projections, providing guidance and oversight on project financial management, and participating as appropriate, in resolution of financial issues; and
- Ensure compliance and adherence to donor regulations and procedures including maintenance of internal controls, accountability of EDC resources for all financial and operational issues.
- Mentor local personnel to develop capacity of staff, including provision of regular feedback and training; and
- Ensure that finance and operations staff work smoothly with technical teams to accomplish project goals in a manner consistent with policies and procedures; models collaboration with technical leaders.
Please Note: This position is not eligible for relocation or posting allowances and the salary will be paid in West African CFA Franc.
The candidate for the position of Finance and Administration Director shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Master’s degree (or Bachelor’s degree with equivalent professional experience) in business, accounting, finance, international development or other related field.
Skills and Experience:
- At least eight years of experience (10 years with Bachelor’s degree) with increasing responsibility in accounting and/or financial management, including the management and oversight of multimillion-dollar, USAID-funded project budgets and financial reporting;
- Extensive knowledge of and financial management experience with USAID funded-programs;
- Experience managing multi-office projects highly desired;
- Previous financial management experience on development projects with significant procurement components is preferred;
- Demonstrated and detailed understanding of financial management and accounting principles; and
- Proven ability to manage a team and corresponding workflow.
Fluency in French and professional working proficiency in English are required.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.