Internews is a media development organization working worldwide to empower people with trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. We seek to realize the potential of a digitally connected world: a world in which evidence-based information advances human progress, enables broad opportunity and accountability, and fuels vibrant civic debate.
Working with local partners in DRC under the MEDIAS2I PROJECT, we plan to conduct a series of workshops for 10 partners (8 online media; 2 radio) to strengthen business operations towards the overall goal of media sustainability of media independence in the DRC.
Internews seeks to engage an ONLINE MEDIA DEVELOPMENT EXPERT to train selected media partners for a total 60 days over a two-year period commencing November 2020. The trainer will support the selected media to develop and deploy effective business and management strategies through virtual (in year 1) and providing in-person (in year 2 depending on the Covid-19 situation) workshops, technical assistance, professional coaching and advisory support.
You’re an ideal candidate for this position if you have:
- A deep understanding of the legacy and new industries in DRC, as well as working knowledge of the broader media environment in Africa.
- Proven ability to provide impactful technical support for media organizations including management-level trainings, organizational capacity assessments, curricula development, and other technical business
- Demonstrable track experience developing and implementing business models for media organization within a similar regional context
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with local media partners, senior business leaders and multinational and international project teams
- Native or full professional fluency in French; excellent communication and presentation skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The expert will be responsible for supporting the Medias2I Project Team in:
- Designing and delivering training programs for editorial and business leaders to strengthen organizational management and business operations.
- Working with selected media partners in developing and deploying effective business strategies – specific to their operational context, core competencies, and growth potentials.
- Evaluating partners periodically over the project period, providing reports to the project team on partner progress and needs.
The successful applicant will work with the project team to design a 2-year DRC- specific program, proposed focus areas are:
- The DRC Digital Landscape – An in-depth understanding of internet and digital media consumption in the country, and overview of global trends, and how this impacts the business environment for editorial and business leaders.
- Understanding Audiences – Understanding online audiences for business: how to attract, engage, and monetize audiences on digital platforms. Leaders will also be trained on how to track on-platform analytics for social media and websites, and what they mean for your business plan.
- Online Advertising – Understanding online advertising through direct and 3rd Party platforms – how business and editorial leaders can manage teams, design products, and run sales operations to optimize online revenue generation.
- Product Design – How to use your core competencies and available resources to design monetizable products/platforms/services that create value for partners/advertisers and optimize your revenue generation.
- Partnerships & Alternative Revenue – A practical understanding of digital content creation for businesses and partners; how media can generate commercial value outside the traditional advertising market e.g. CSOs, reader revenue
- Direct Sales & Online – Offline Opportunities – Educating new customers on digital opportunities on your platform, demonstrating value, and getting return business. We can also explore options of online-offline engagement, given the internet penetration and use in the country.
- A master’s degree or an undergraduate degree with 10 years’ experience in communications, journalism, media management, business innovation or any related field
- Minimum of 5 years’ managerial-level experience in editorial leadership, business development, innovation, and digital media
- Experience designing and implementing business plans and commercial strategies, preferably adapted to small or medium sized organizations
- Established capacity not only to engage effectively in highly technical business analyses or conversations, but to explain highly technical issues and concerns to a wide range of actors with varying technical levels of technical expertise
- Contributions to the digital safety community through creation, sharing, and/or review of documentation, guides, curricula, etc.
- Experience with conducting interactive and practical training online via Zoom or other similar platforms.
- Experience using digital asset management systems and digital analytics and performance reporting, especially measuring and evaluating communication work, analyzing media coverage, web traffic, etc.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, interviews and all 2020 training activities will be conducted virtually. The Internews team will coordinate the trainee participation logistics, based on the training plan and tools agreed on with the external trainer.
Project Lead: BIGOMOKERO BANYABO BLAISE
Postal address: N/A
Telephone: +243 813 622 975 /+254 737 288 228