International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over three hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Assignment Title: Evaluation Specialist
Technical Point of Contact: Program Director
IBTCI is seeking a Local Evaluation Specialist (Syria) for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) evaluation to assess the relevance and coherence, efficiency, and effectiveness and impact of the UNRWA Medium Term Strategy (MTS) 2016-22 and the processes related to its implementation. This can be either a mid-level or senior-level position. Candidates should be based regionally, preferably in Syria, or Amman, Jordan, the West Bank, Lebanon, Israel, or Gaza. The period of performance for the evaluation is January 4, 2021 – July 30, 2021.
This position is contingent upon a successful award.
Scope of Work: The Evaluation Specialist will support all evaluation activities. Assist with the development of the evaluation workplan, review background documents to inform data collection and analysis. Support the development of the methodology, tools/protocols, assist with evaluation planning and logistics (i.e., scheduling and travel), translations, and implement key informant interviews (KIIs) and focus groups in collaboration with other evaluation team members. Collect and analyze quantitative and qualitative data. Assist with the development of the final evaluation report and in accordance with UN evaluation policies and standards. Perform other duties as assigned.
Serve in the above consultant capacity to support the IBTCI technical practices of Crisis, Conflict & Governance, Agriculture & Food Security & Economic, Education & Growth and Global Health and/or Business Development divisions.
- This position does not authorize/require the consultant to directly communicate with IBTCI clients.
- This position does not authorize/require the consultant to have decision making authority on final work product.
- Minimum seven years’ of professional experience in similar or related services;
- Master’s degree, preferably with emphasis in economics, humanitarian assistance, livelihoods, social sciences, or other field related to international development. (or a Bachelor’s degree with two additional years of technical experience, for a total of nine years’ experience).
Education: Master’s degree, preferably with emphasis in economics, humanitarian assistance, livelihoods, social sciences, or other field related to international development. (or a Bachelor’s degree with two additional years of technical experience, for a total of nine years’ experience).
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skills and experience in mixed methods evaluation, including outcome /impact measurement and qualitative evaluation consulting local communities;
- Experience in evaluating organizational strategies, thematic areas (e.g. gender, human rights, disability inclusion, and/or SDGs);
- Experience in programme evaluation of relevance to UNRWA (e.g. protection, health, education, relief and social services, infrastructure and camp improvement, microfinance, the provision of emergency assistance and/or behaviour change programming);
- Experience in the use of programme information management data to analyse results (experience with data analysis is an asset);
- Expertise in mainstreaming gender, human rights, and disability inclusion dimensions in evaluation;
- Proven strong analytical and communications skills in English;
- Arabic language skills are an asset.
- Evaluation experience in one or more UNRWA fields of operation (Gaza, West Bank, Syria, Lebanon, and Jordan) is highly desired.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: International travel may be required and may include travel to fragile or conflict prone zones.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identification, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Human Resources at 703-749-0100. (Do not send your resume to this account, for consideration please apply in our career page).