Evaluation Expert, Pakistan Transition Initiative (PTI) Evaluation (TDP Return Strategy),
Performance Management Support Contract (PERFORM), Pakistan
In May 2015, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) awarded a five-year contract to Management Systems International (MSI) to provide performance management support to USAID-sponsored development programs throughout Pakistan. The Performance Management Support Contract (PERFORM) serves as a centralized management support mechanism that provides services in (1) monitoring, (2) evaluation, (3) assessment, and (4) learning support. PERFORM provides data and information to help USAID/Pakistan project managers improve results through better implementation, design, and learning, enabling it to better target its programming and achieve its goals and objectives.
MSI is seeking an expatriate Evaluation Expert with experience evaluating projects for temporarily displaced people (TDPs) who will participate in an evaluation of USAID/Pakistan’s TDP return strategy projects implemented in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP). The project aims to facilitate the return of TDPs to their homeland areas in four main agencies in FATA (Khyber Agency, Kurram Agency, North Waziristan and South Waziristan) by restoring basic living conditions through rehabilitation of physical infrastructure, basic services delivery, enhanced livelihood opportunities, and supporting operationalization of government offices to increase security and stability. With these interventions, the program hopes to improve the living conditions of TDPs, build trust, and increase positive perceptions of the government amongst the displaced communities.
MSI is seeking a candidate who can participate (remotely) in evaluation design and travel to Pakistan to participate in data analysis and report writing.
The evaluation will begin on or about January 1st 2017 and finish by the end of May 2017. The anticipated level of effort is approximately 50 days. The expert will work as part of the evaluation team, which includes a sector specialist, an assignment manager, and may also include researchers and data analysts. The assignment will require at least one trip, and perhaps two, to Pakistan.
The Evaluation Expert will collaborate with the local evaluation team and work closely to:
- Provide evaluation expertise in the design, planning, implementation, and reporting phases of the evaluation.
- Participate in the team planning workshop (possibly remotely) and contribute to developing data collection instruments and a data analysis plan.
- Guide qualitative and quantitative data analysis; participate in the coding exercise for qualitative data and work with the evaluation team during the analysis of quantitative data.
- Synthesize findings, conclusions, and recommendations based on available primary and secondary information.
- Present evaluation results to USAID and implementing partners.
- Lead the preparation of the evaluation report and briefing papers.
- At least a Master’s degree in social sciences with ten (10) years of professional experience (some experience with migrant populations and refugee resettlement or another relevant field), or a Ph.D. with at least five (5) years of experience.
- Experience participating in evaluations of USAID projects.
- Familiarity with USAID and USAID evaluation policy.
- Excellent analytical and personal communication skills.
- Experience using data analysis tools such as MS Excel, SPSS, Stata, NVivo, and MaxQDA.
- Excellent report writing skills in English. In addition to analytical skills, report writing is the primary skill that is required for this position. Candidates should be able to demonstrate prior experience in writing high quality evaluation and research reports.
- Fluent in quantitative and qualitative research methods.