Evaluation Director, Evaluate for Improved Impact, Zambia
MSI anticipates an upcoming proposal for a five-year evaluation and research support services contract to support USAID/Zambia’s Health Office. The objectives are: 1) to conduct evaluations, operations research and assessments across the health portfolio (Malaria, HIV/AIDS, Health Systems Strengthening, Maternal Health, and Family Planning); and 2) build the monitoring, evaluation and research capacity of the USAID Mission, its grantees and local Zambian institutions.
**Please note: Only Zambian citizens are eligible for this position.**
The Evaluation Director will be a member of the senior management team. S/he will be responsible for overseeing the delivery of all work associated with evaluations and operations research and assessments. Evaluations may be either performance (formative and summative) or impact evaluations. Operations research will address questions related to improving project implementation and strategies. The position is based in Lusaka, with travel throughout Zambia as necessary. S/he will report to the Chief of Party.
- Serve as a key focal point for USAID and partner staff for evaluations and research.
- Lead the design of evaluations and operations research, working closely with clients to meet their needs and requirements.
- Lead and/or supervise the design of evaluation and research plans.
- Identify and recruit candidates and partners for evaluations and research.
- Supervise teams and staff working on evaluations and research to ensure on time high quality deliverables.
- Supervise the development of qualitative and quantitative instruments.
- Serve as lead analyst and/or reviewer of results of surveys and other field data.
- Oversee and approve evaluation, assessment and survey draft reports.
- Present evaluation and research findings
- As part of the senior leadership team, manage staff to ensure smooth workflow.
- A Master’s Degree or foreign equivalent public health, epidemiology, demography, development studies, social sciences, or related field; Ph.D., is preferred.
- Minimum twelve (12) years’ progressive experience in designing, managing, and analyzing the results of evaluations of and research for development projects in the health sector;
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in the design and analysis of surveys, including sampling design, statistical methods and statistical analysis.
- Demonstrated experience using qualitative methods such as key informant interviews, focus group discussions, outcome harvesting, and analysis.
- Served as principal investigator or team leader on evaluations or assessments.
- Supervisory experience of staff.
- Strong interpersonal and facilitation skills required to develop and maintain working relationships with national and international partners.
- Enjoys working with and managing teams.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Strong technical writing skills required.