Recognised as a leader in delivering complementary care and support services, over the past 18 years, m2m has contributed meaningfully to virtually eliminating mother-to-child transmission of HIV (MTCT) within its client cohorts, and improving reproductive, maternal, new-born, child and adolescent health (RMNCAH) outcomes. The scale and scope of the m2m programme has expanded since 2014 to combat the causes and effects of HIV/AIDS in a more comprehensive manner. In 2018, m2m Mentor Mothers provided direct RMNCAH, ECD/OVC, prevention of MTCT as well as HIV Care and Support services to an estimated 1,075,741 beneficiaries in 8 countries in Southern and East Africa. Programmatic expansion at scale and a competitive funding environment necessitate continued, progressive investment in system development within and across m2m departments to ensure quality of care and organisational sustainability. Working across the organization, this position reports to the Director DPTS The position is responsible for leading the conceptualization and design, as well as management, of in-country and multi-country evaluation and operations research projects. The position is based at the m2m Head Office in Cape Town with opportunities to travel.
Key Performance Areas
Advance m2m Evaluation and Operational Research (E&OR) Priorities:
- Defines E&OR priorities for m2m based on organizational need, the strategic planning process, country need identification, and any other relevant input / processes.
- Liaises with internal & external review committees regarding E&OR studies & implementation
- Prepares concept notes, proposals and RFAs to generate funds for identified research priorities
- Advises on and lead evaluation of existing and new programmatic activities and other organization evaluation needs
- Develops annual E&OR work plan and budget
Provide Technical Support tom2m Programme Teams and External Stakeholders where relevant:
- Co-ordinates and oversees m2m programme evaluations in all countries, including:
- liaises with country teams on evaluation planning
- supports local stakeholders in co-ordinating evaluations
- assists with local/international recruitment for consultants
- develops SOWs/ evaluation protocols
- ensures methodologically sound study design and analysis; overseeing report writing & dissemination
- Provides technical support to programme teams relating to Operations Research
- Supports implementation of QA/QI activities
- Oversees design and use of mHealth and other technology in support of evaluation and operations research
Co-ordination and Oversight of Evaluations and Operations Research Studies
- Oversees development and implementation of m2m E&OR studies & projects.
- Provide leadership on all aspects of studies and the management of studies – from protocol development, data collection, data management and analyses, development and dissemination of findings through oral presentations and written reports.
- Ensures methodologically sound study design and analysis, coordinating report writing & supporting dissemination – among contracted service providers as well as among students / interns who volunteer their services.
- Manages interdisciplinary project teams, staff and short term consultants to achieve E&OR objectives, including capacity building through training & ongoing support.
- Prepares research for peer-reviewed publication.
Drives the conceptualization, design and submission of Evaluation and Operations Research projects and proposals in response to competitive RFP processes
Present DPTS in interdisciplinary initiatives and assignments
- Represent the interests of m2m on research committees and forums where research pertains to m2m, but is not necessarily driven by m2m