The National Democratic Institute (NDI) is seeking a Resident Program Director with strong political acumen to provide strategic direction and oversight for the implementation of its political party and research programs in Ethiopia. The Resident Program Director will report to NDI’s Senior Resident Country Director. Based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, with frequent in-country travel, the Resident Program Director will assume responsibilities related to the design, implementation, and evaluation of the Institute’s program activities related to political party strengthening and research.
Specific programmatic areas include: provide support to parties to develop through an inclusive process and communicate on issue-based policies; facilitate knowledge building activities to strengthen internal party structures with the aim of being inclusive and issue- based political party organizations; enhance capacities of political parties to adopt practices and policies that are responsive to the needs and interests of marginalized groups; facilitate multi-party engagements and cross-sectoral engagements with civil society organizations; and conduct individualized consultations and training to improve parties’ organizational capacity to enhance responsiveness to citizens’ expressed policies and governance priorities.
The ideal candidate should have at least 14 years of experience as a political practitioner at local and national levels, strong managerial and communications skills, and demonstrated capacity for astute political analysis and judgment. S/he would have previous experience in a conflict-affected and/or transitioning country working as an international development professional and/or practitioner.
- In consultation with the Senior Resident Country Director, lead day-to-day management and implementation of NDI’s political party program in Ethiopia
- Manage implementation of the program in collaboration with NDI’s Political Party Team, to enhance evidence-led capacity building support activities that ensure inclusive and responsive participation of political parties and partners in the political reform process and elections
- Provide trainings and consultations on comparative political transition processes, strategic planning, inclusive platform development, public outreach, coalition building, issues research, governmental oversight, and campaign organization
- Develop and maintain relationships with key political and civic actors, government, and the donor community
- Develop specific initiatives to promote the role of women, marginalized communities and youth within political parties and movements
- Ensure coherence and synergies between the multidonor-funded political party programs, and research-based engagement with key political actors and institutions, while also working collaboratively with the local NDI team that implements election-related programs with civil society partners
- Contribute to effective program monitoring to ensure programmatic goals are achieved and operational and reporting requirements are adhered to
- Represent NDI to Ethiopian government officials, party officials, legislative leaders, the diplomatic and donor community, and local and international non-governmental organizations
- Draft and submit accurate and timely field reports that detail program activities, monitor and evaluate program results and provide analysis of political developments
- Supervise assigned staff and foster their professional development
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in international development, political science or management or a related field
- A minimum of fourteen (14) years of relevant work experience as a political party or parliamentary trainer or working in or with political parties and elected representatives at the provincial or national level
- Practical experience in political party organizing, linking party operations to legislative agendas, efforts to grow diverse membership bases
- Demonstrated experience leading program research and surveys in political transition environment
- Extensive training design and delivery experience, with demonstrated ability to communicate as a trainer, advisor and coach
- Experience interacting, communicating and engaging with individuals from different countries with cultural sensitivity and diplomacy to build relationships
- Experience working on Ethiopia or other Africa programs preferred
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and apply sophisticated political analysis to programmatic activities
- Ability to adjust programmatic activities based on changing political circumstances and in response to needs articulated by local partners and program stakeholders
- Excellent managerial, interpersonal and networking skills, as well as the ability to cultivate professional relationships with senior politicians and elected officials
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English language are required.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, multicultural professional environment and promoting staff development
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Drive, SPSS, G+, etc.) strongly required
- Ability and willingness to travel to locations throughout Ethiopia which may be remote and difficult to reach
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.