In the context of the
LEGAM provides operational legal support to two
The Extended Term
Please identify which location you are applying for in your cover letter.
Duties & Accountabilities:
The Extended Term Consultant, under the supervision of the Lead/Senior Counsel, will:
– Draft legal agreements and/or pleadings, litigation filings, and other legal documents.
– Prepare legal memoranda on complex legal issues.
– Conduct legal research on complex issues of law.
– Advise teams on World Bank policies and procedures.
– Provide guidance to Administrative Client Support staff and/or paralegals on processing of documentation.
– Carry out any other complementary duties assigned by the Lead/Senior Counsel(s).
* At minimum, an LL.B. degree or equivalent and qualified to practice law in at least one jurisdiction. A Master’s degree in law is desirable.
* Minimum 5 years’ experience involving legal research, contract drafting and/or other relevant legal experience
General Competencies Required
– Excellent legal research, writing, analytical and communications skills.
– Excellent interpersonal skills.
– Familiarity in the use of varied legal research sources (including electronic sources in the internet) and other databases.
– Fully proficient in computer skills, particularly in using word processing software, information databases, internet services, and library sources.
– Ability to work well as a team member in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment.
– Ability to work under time pressure and to juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines.
– Experience in litigation, administrative and contract law, and preparation of court filings and/or commercial transactions and negotiating legal agreements a plus
– Fluency in written and spoken English is required, as well as excellent drafting skills. Applicants will be asked to undertake a drafting exercise as part of the selection process. Additional languages (French (required for Dakar and strongly preferred for Pretoria and Nairobi); Portuguese desired)
Other Competencies Required
– Deliver Results for Clients: Contributes to delivery of results for clients on complex issues. Sets challenging goals that align with the WBG mission and is always looking to improve. Understands clients’ most pressing challenges and contributes to solutions. Takes personal responsibility for producing high quality work, identifying and informing of risks, and delivering results for clients.
– Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries: Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success. Shares information and frame thinking/actions with a corporate perspective in mind.
– Lead and Innovate: Brings new and different insights. Applies critical thinking to current approaches, identifies areas for improvement, and tries new solutions that drive results. Considers own behavior in context of WBG’s values and mission and recognizes impact one has on others. Operates in ambiguity and changing needs and supports others to do the same
– Create, Apply and Share Knowledge: Actively contributes to and readily applies WBG’s body of knowledge for internal and/or external client solutions. Contributes to the department’s and WBG’s body of knowledge by applying lessons learned and expertise. Actively invests in own knowledge and seeks feedback. Builds personal and professional networks within and beyond the work group
– Make Smart Decisions: Leverages available data and makes timely decisions. Seeks and analyzes facts, data and lessons of past experience to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work. Applies cost/benefit analysis to meet work program objectives. Contributes to decision making by providing relevant risk-analysis. Shows initiative when necessary and makes decisions in a timely manner within own area of responsibility.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.
|Country:||-- South Africa|