Position Title: Epidemic Intelligence Unit Data Analyst
Reports to: EIU Manager
Location: Massachusetts (Remote)
Position Type: Full-time, may include evenings and weekends
The current COVID-19 pandemic exceeds the existing Massachusetts Department of Public Health and Local Boards of Health ability to perform contact tracing. As a result, many people are unaware that they are a contact of a person with COVID-19. Contacts may have asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic COVID-19 and can unwittingly spread the virus in the community. To break the chain of transmission, contact tracing and isolation must be scaled-up rapidly.
To support the Department of Public Health (DPH), Partners In Health (PIH) will hire, train and supervise a large team of community contact tracing staff across Massachusetts. The aim of this will be to call every person diagnosed with COVID-19, gather their contacts, and proceed to call every contact in Massachusetts. In tandem with Commonwealth-wide effort to increase testing and improving communication and implementation of isolation and quarantine this will fortify efforts to control the pandemic in Massachusetts.
The contract tracing staff consists of several roles, including contact tracers, case investigators, care resource coordinators, local health liaisons and outbreak investigators. This large team will use an online platform (Salesforce) to support data flow, data collection and entry, and to coordinate the workflows involved for contact tracing. The project will also employ a data team to oversee the overall impact of the project, monitor metrics and adjust project strategy in real time, and liaise with other partners and stakeholders in the data flow such as testing centers.
The EIU Data Analyst will join a fast paced and dynamic Epidemic Intelligence Unit (EIU) to help spearhead contact tracing for COVID-19 in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts specific to clusters both related and unrelated to institutes of higher education. EIU Data Analysts will reside on a specialized team dedicated to cluster management under the Data Team. They will perform data analyses relevant to supporting cluster investigations and other data-related tasks. These analysts will be closely linked with others on the Data Team and will report to the EIU Manager.
- Perform and report on data analyses relevant to EIU investigations
- Assist in efforts to identify potential clusters in the CRM by data mining in the CRM using various analyses and creating reports for outbreak investigators
- Coordinate creation of cluster linkages in MAVEN and working between the CRM and MAVEN for consistency of data as needed
- Monitor data quality of cluster-related investigation and reporting activities
- Create data visualizations for EIU team, including case maps for outbreak investigators
- Track daily and weekly progress for the cluster response
- Conduct various data analyses to help monitor/evaluate the overall program and inform implementation.
- Help ensure high data integrity of CTC data through various data cleaning activates.
- Apply specialized processes to de-duplicate contact and case records within the database system.
- Maintain daily contact with manager
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree or equivalent work in epidemiology, statistics, data science, or related fields
- 10+ years of relevant experience
- Extensive experience with a wide range of statistical/data analyses and dataset types
- Expertise in data analysis software (e.g. R, Stata, SAS, etc)
- Database management and data cleaning experience, including data quality checks
- Experience creating data visualizations
- Experience with Salesforce is a plus but not required
- Experience with outbreak investigations and/or complex data investigations preferred
- Ability to take initiative and interested in tackling complex problems, working with an interdisciplinary team to execute solutions
- Experience working independently in complex and fast paced environments
- Ability to exhibit a professional, positive attitude and work ethic
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Critical thinking and sound judgment required
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism
- Ability to speak, read, and write English
- Proficiency with computers
- Must have access to good/reliable WiFi
- Technology requirements: PC with Windows 10, Antivirus Protection: Windows Defender and Windows Firewall; or Mac with Apple OS X 10.13, Antivirus Protection: Sophos; and personal mobile device to use for this job. A headset is preferred. No tablets or IPads.
- Massachusetts Resident preferred and familiarity with Massachusetts’ geography; cities/towns/locations required
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Kazakhstan, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities.