Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe
The Youth Employment and Business Start-up (YouLead!) Program is a four-year program that supports USAID’s goal to increase the entrepreneurship of youth in Sri Lanka over the program’s duration. YouLead! focuses on improving access to finance opportunities for youth startup business, better knowledge on entrepreneurial skills and mentoring service for sustainability of the business with employment opportunities.
Global Communities is seeking an experienced Entreprenuership Manager to establish and manage an extensive network of volunteer mentors for new and would-be young entrepreneurs in Sri Lanka. This includes both senior business owners with many years of experience in their trade, and younger “peer” mentors who have recently set up their businesses and are more aware of the sorts of problems a young entrepreneur is likely to face in the first years. The Entrepreneurship Manager will liaise with stakeholders, beneficiaries, and ministry counterparts to help increase and accelerate the development of young entrepreneurs, as well as encourage the mentors to support new entrepreneurs with post-investment technical assistance as needed.. The Entrepreneurship Manager will report to the Entrepreneurship Director. The work may require travel within Sri Lanka up to 25% of the time. This position is located in Colombo, Sri Lanka. The assignment is expected to last 2.5 years.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Liaise with Organizations such as Lions Club, Rotary Club, Chamber of Commerce, Young Business Sri Lanka to recruit and sustain a network of mentors who can advise young entrepreneurs;
- Develop an effective, youth-friendly platform linking mentors and young entrepreneurs and evaluate their progress;
- Coordinate with the Career Development Director to make mentors accessible (and trackable) via the online platform YouLead is building;
- Encourage youth enrolled or recently completed vocational education to follow an Entrepreneurship Development program;
- Build relationships with Community Organizations such as Sanasa, Sarvodaya, Samurdhi and educate their members on the avenues that are available with TVET institute for their children.
- Help link potential young entrepreneurs with Banks and financial intuitions partnering with YouLead for their financial needs and follow-up the progress.
- Support YouLead and the Entrepreneurship Director on other activities related to youth entrepreneurship as required.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree related field;
- Minimum 5-years of work experience on international development or similar programs
- Experience recruiting and managing volunteers
- Experience working in or with the private sector;
- Experience working with business organizations in Sri Lanka preferred;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to motivate and convince others;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- English fluency required; Sinhalese and/or Tamil proficiency strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated leadership and integrity;
- Maturity, professionalism, positive attitude;
This position is open to individuals authorized to work in Sri Lanka. Sri Lankan citizens are encouraged to apply. No expat allowances have been budgeted for this position.