The International Education Division is currently accepting applications for Education Systems Strengthening Advisor for the USAID- funded basic education activity, ABC+ in the Philippines. This activity will work with the Government of the Philippines to support improved literacy in mother-tongue, numeracy, and social and emotional learning in the early grades. The project outcomes will include improved education system capacity to manage and implement interventions supporting effective early grade instruction. The project is operating in Regions V and VI, with a small presence in BARMM. The activity will target Regions V (Bicol) and VI (Western Visayas). The position will be based in Manila.
The project is entering its second year in September 2021. There are three intermediate result areas (IRs): (1) Improved Early Grade Instruction and Delivery Systems, (2) Improved Access to Quality Materials, and (3) Improved Education System Capacity and Commitment to Manage and Implement Interventions Supporting Effective Early Grade Instruction.
The Education Systems Strengthening Advisor (IR3 Lead) will be primarily responsible for designing the activity’s approach to contribute to DepEd’s efforts in building institutional capacity at the various levels of the basic education system to effectively implement and manage improved instruction in the early grades. The Education Systems Strengthening Advisor will provide technical guidance and advice to the project management team, DepEd, as well as to USAID. S/he will lead in activities to enhance necessary capacity across all levels of DepEd to use data to inform decision-making and improve implementation of early grade instruction. S/he will also oversee the project team focused on mobilizing Local Government Units, the private sector, and parents and communities to support and sustain the improvements in early grade instruction that the activity will introduce.
- In close collaboration with DepEd counterparts, provide technical assistance for activities focused on strengthening the capacity of the Philippine basic education system—understood as the wide range of stakeholders from DepEd Central and Regional Offices, to schools divisions and districts, Local Government Units, Local School Boards, as well as the private sector and civil society— to improve the delivery of instruction and learning outcomes of foundational skills in K-3
- Collaborate with other technical lead roles of the activity to design and deploy approaches for strengthening institutional capacity and stakeholder engagement that adequately plan for scale-up and sustainability
- Ensure that partner organizations that will mobilize Local Government Units, Local School Boards, the private sector, and civil society work in synergy
- Actively engage relevant technical Bureaus and Units of DepEd Central Office and Regional Offices in program activities to strengthen institutional capacities
- Develop frameworks and agreements/Memoranda of Understanding for private sector partners and oversee the overall management of private sector engagement processes
- Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team to develop frameworks and methods for capturing data (quantitative and qualitative) relating to improvements in education system capacity
- Leverage project Monitoring, Evaluation, & Learning data to inform adjustments in the project’s technical approach and ensure continued dialogue and improvement with stakeholders in building education system capacity
- In collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation, & Learning team, define the learning focus or research agenda on scale-up and sustainability
- Engage with Communications team to share and amplify success stories about the project’s work on education systems strengthening
- Coordinate with other donor-funded initiatives working on strengthening the capacity of the basic education system in the Philippines to ensure that the activity does not have conflicting technical interventions at the regional and school levels
- Assist the Chief of Party in planning and coordinating short-term technical assistance to support the projects institutional capacity building objectives
- Provide technical support to the implementation of activities in close collaboration with the activity’s Senior Regional Program Manager
- Represent RTI at relevant fora as may be deemed necessary
- Develop, compile, and submit weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief of Party.
- Master’s degree in education policy, public administration, political science, or related field
- Minimum nine (9) years of directly relevant experience with basic education programming
- Experience in working with Philippine government/basic education system and good knowledge of Philippine stakeholder map in basic education
- Proven success with leveraging private sector funding a plus
- Experience implementing development programs – preferably with USAID — including planning, execution, monitoring, reporting, problem solving, and financial managemen
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and motivate personnel
- Excellent communication skills and ability (verbal and written)
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability
- Must be professionally proficient and fluent in written and spoken English. It is preferred, but not required, that the candidate be conversant and fluent in Filipino and/or other local languages.