Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 member countries.
The position is assigned in the Human and Social Development Division (SEHS) within the Southeast Asia Department (SERD). SERD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Southeast Asian region. SEHS is responsible for policy development and dialogue, knowledge management, project quality assurance, sector analytic work, and loan and technical assistance processing and administration in the education and skills development, health, social protection, and other social development related sectors and themes.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Education Specialist will identify, develop, implement and administer loans, technical assistance (TA), and non-lending products and services in the areas of education and skills development, in line with ADB’s Education Sector Operational Plan. This position will undertake policy dialogue, promote best practices and innovations for strengthening education and skills development programs and projects, undertake relevant sector and thematic studies, and participate in sub-regional cooperation programs in Southeast Asia. The incumbent will report to the Director of SEHS and may supervise one or more National and Administrative Staff.
- Support the development of policy and strategies for ADB-supported education and skills development efforts, namely in higher education, technical and vocational education and training (TVET), and secondary education. This includes innovations and best practices in the areas of skills development for high technology industries, public private partnerships in education, partnership with industry in skills development, teacher effectiveness, inclusive education, and governance and management of education. These will be conducted in consultation with relevant government agencies and Resident Missions (RMs).
- Lead and/or participate in missions responsible for the identification, preparation, appraisal and administration of programs and projects in higher education, TVET, and secondary education.
- Conduct dialogue with government officials of developing member countries (DMCs) and develop education and skills development sector policies, strategies, roadmaps and sector assessments for DMCs within the Southeast Asia region.
- Coordinate with RMs for consistency of approach, exchange of experiences, and continuous improvement of practices and integration of education and skills development policy commitments.
- Contribute substantially to the education and skills development sector assessment, strategy and road map updates; and contribute to the preparation of sector results framework.
- Contribute to the design and administration of regional cooperation activities, including conducting dialogue with national governments, regional organizations, bilateral donors, nongovernment organizations and other development partners.
- Liaise with development agencies and partners on collaborative work in the sector.
- Review relevant documents on education and skills development, and evaluate sector policies and projects; intra-regional and regional cooperation activities in the education sector; and on the role of education and skills development in light of technology advancement in Southeast Asia and its likely impact on jobs and skills requirements.
Participate in and contribute to internal and external training and conferences on education and skills development and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
Master’s degree in education, public policy and management, economics or other related fields, with complementary work experience in higher education, TVET, secondary education, or other related areas in education and skills development. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered.
Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience in education and skills development project design and administration
Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- International experience working in development in several countries, with substantial experience in the education and skills development sector in Asia and the Pacific
- Experience or knowledge in advanced level skills development for high technology industries would be an advantage
Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of ADB member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.