NRC in Syria
NRC is in Syria to support people affected by forced displacement (IDPs, returnees, host community etc.) so that they can have access to timely and effective assistance, to cope with the crisis and when the crisis ends return and rebuild their lives. Since the start of its activities in mid-2016 in Syria, NRC has reached with humanitarian assistance more than 360,000 people, out of which more than 150,000 reached in 2018 alone in the Governorates of Damascus, Aleppo and Rif Damascus.
NRC will continue to apply an integrated programming approach, where Education, capacity building, Shelter/WASH, and Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) programmes work jointly to enable displacement-affected populations to meet their basic needs, enjoy their rights, and benefit from pathways to durable solutions.
Role Specific Information
- Contribute, under the supervision of the Team Leader, to the planning, preparation, coordination, and the successful implementation and documentation, of the Children/Youth Education (livelihoods) programme components assigned
- Support the Education Technical Unit in the contextualization/revision of education/training materials, and tools, in English and Arabic,
- Supervise the (technical) education assistants assigned, in terms of performance, allocation of tasks, work plan, day to day work, and leaves
- Ensure direct management and problem solving of day-to-day tasks and challenges, in coordination with the line manager.
- Ensure that appropriate outreach activities and fair beneficiary registration and selection processes are conducted for the implementation of the education programme components assigned.
- Is responsible for ensuring that proper and timely administrative, logistical, and financial arrangements and documentation needed for the implementation of the assigned programme components are prepared by the assigned team, in line with NRC procedures.
- Ensure the monitoring of the children / youth education programme components assigned, by contributing to data collection, spot visits, data analysis, and drafting of regular activity implementation/monitoring/evaluation reports, need-based.
- Contribute to the recruitment of casual resources required for the implementation of the education programme components assigned and ensure that their work assignments are properly managed and documented.
- May be requested to provide inputs for the design of annual plans and reports in relation to the children/youth education programme components assigned.
- Contribute to need assessments, area profiling, and initial assessments in current or new operation areas and informs decisions on area/community selection, programme response and approach, based on own capacity and knowledge.
- Can be deployed temporarily to other field locations for initial assessments, during the initiation/ planning/ coordination/ implementation/ monitoring/ evaluation of non-formal children/youth education activities, recruitment of casual resources and/or capacity building. Can be re-allocated temporarily to other positions or requested to support other education activities/programmes that require a similar expertise, as per the education programme priorities.
Our Ideal Candidate
Minimum Bachelor Degree, preferably in education, social work, business, finance, or any related field, with minimum 3 years’ experience in working with Children/Youth education/livelihood programmes and Previous experience in working in a humanitarian/recovery context, preferably as a project officer.
Experience in coordinating teams.
Teaching experience in schools or in delivering trainings and/or mentoring/ coaching teachers/facilitators/trainers (public or private schools, community centers or institutes, etc.) and Experience in dealing with public stakeholders within the Education system (e.g. school principals, ministry of Education representatives, communities).
Experience in contributing to the designing/ revision/ contextualization of learning/ recreational/ PSS materials / programmes for children or youth.
Knowledge in pedagogy, child/youth development and evaluation of learning
Ready to travel on mission into different Governarates in Syria
Experience in working in Arabic & English languages (written and verbal)
Contract period: Until the end of the year, renewable based on fund and performance
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Damascus