Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Office of the Chief Economist and Director General (EROD) within the Economic Research and Regional Cooperation Department (ERCD). The ERCD, led by the Bank’s Chief Economist and Director General, is supporting the Bank’s mission through providing macroeconomic forecasts, producing statistical databases, undertaking country diagnostic studies and other analytical work, and fostering regional cooperation and integration.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Economics Officer will undertake independent economic research and provide analytical support for selected key research. The position will also provide operational, and administrative support pertaining to regular publications of the Economic Research and Regional Cooperation Department (ERCD) such as the Asian Development Review (ADR) and monograph series; act as focal person for k-Nexus in maintaining and regularly updating the database of ERCD’s knowledge products and services (KPS), as well as generating regular reports related to KPS delivery for Management; and prepare presentations, talking points, speeches, and other briefing materials for use by ERCD and ADB Management. The incumbent will report to designated International Staff (IS) and Senior National Staff (NS).
Economic Research Work
- Contribute to ERCD’s strategic knowledge initiatives, economic research papers for ADB and external publications, and special economic studies for Management by preparing reports on topical issues and reviewing drafts.
- Work independently, analyzes economic data using statistical software and pursues self-directed and coauthored research work. Such work includes data collection, database management, statistical analysis, and data presentation; review and analysis of related economic literature; and clear, logical presentation of ideas and empirical results.
- Present research work in ERCD and ADB knowledge events and international conferences.
- Contribute to preparing draft speeches, presentations, talking points, and other documents as may be required by the department and/or Management.
Publications Editorial, Production, and Distribution
- Act as publishing focal for ERCD’s publications, which involves the following: (i) contribute to efficient and accurate editorial management of publications, such as the Asian Development Review (ADR), Economic Working Papers, Policy Briefs, and special studies; (ii) supervise copyediting of manuscripts at various stages of publication; (iii) provide editing support to consultant editors; (iv) carrying out editorial policy as established by supervisor(s); and (v) writing correspondences pertaining to editorial matters.
- Ensures accurate and timely planning and production of all regular ERCD publications and special studies by creating and implementing production schedules; supervising assistants, and typesetters during pre-press production and quality-checking their outputs; and coordinating with artists and printing supervisors during presswork.
- Contribute in timely and broad dissemination and availability of publications to ADB staff and external individuals and institutions by supervising the mailing and distribution, update of mailing lists, and tracking of inventory; deciding on the most cost-expedient and timely modes of dispatch; producing appropriate announcements on newly published titles; ensuring adequate exposure and availability of publications during conferences and seminars; and liaising and corresponding with the Department of Communications and external publishers on distribution of co-published book projects.
- Act as focal person for k-Nexus and ensure regular updates are done in timely manner and provide periodic reports related to this; monitor timely processing of ADR papers in the online system through monitoring of submissions and coordinating with the editorial team.
- Coordinate preparation of the pipeline of publications, including inputs to Work Program and Budget Framework; postings of knowledge products (e.g., OneADB Today and social media), Information Request Tracking System management; ad hoc research; review of project administration documents such as concept papers and draft TA reports; and other assignments as may be assigned by immediate supervisor and reflected in the incumbent’s work plan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, or Statistics with specialized training in econometrics; preferably with a Master’s degree and with advanced training.
- At least 8 years work experience in related field, with demonstrated experience in economic research and preferably experience in publications management.
- Experience in applying expertise in an international setting.
- Strong technical skills and understanding of official statistics, applied statistical/econometric techniques, or research background in other technical areas.
- Proficiency in using spreadsheets, statistical/econometric software (such as Stata, Eviews, R and Matlab), database applications, and knowledge in implementing automated routines.
- Excellent skills in oral and written English, preferably with demonstrated economic research writing ability.
- Exceptional ability in editing, particularly technical editing.
- High written and oral proficiency in the English language.
- Skills in supervision (i.e. planning, organizing, coordinating, and evaluating) particularly in a publication set-up.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from and manage concerted efforts/activities of individuals.
- Above-average knowledge of computer applications, particularly desktop publishing programs.
- Familiarity with the use of publishing software and LaTeX.
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Please refer to link the for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 1-2.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.