Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Sri Lanka.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving aprosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Sri Lanka Resident Mission (SLRM) within the South Asia Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. SLRM assists in the project implementation of the loans and Technical Assistance (TA’s) projects and supports the ADB HQ in processing of new loans in Sri Lanka.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Economics Analyst will provide support (i) for macroeconomic work and other analytical work; (ii) for processing and implementation of loan and TA projects; and (iiii) serve as alternate for programming matters. The incumbent will report to designated International staff and Senior National staff.
• Contribute to and assist in preparation of Asian Development Outlook (ADO), its Update and Supplements. Maintain familiarity with the economic and social data updates by the government and other sources.
• Maintain and update macroeconomic models and associated database. Assist economic analyses and forecasts, and prepare macroeconomic datasheets.
• Assist in the preparation of the Country Information Note.
• Assist in preparing presentation materials including PowerPoint slides, graphs, and charts presented by the team in various functions and events.
• Contribute in the preparation of other publications such as working papers.
• Contribute and assist preparation of economic and thematic sector work (ETSW).
• Provide input for preparation of weekly economic and political updates for the country director.
• Assist in processing and implementation of loan and TA projects.
• Maintain relevant contacts with appropriate government officials, development partners, private sector, and academic institutions; and be updated on key issues and developments.
• Support preparation of briefing folders and other tasks for VIP visits
• Support relevant staff with programming and serve as alternate
• Assist in the preparation of Country Partnership Strategy (CPS) and Country Operations Business Plan (COBP). Maintain familiarity with the requirements and process including the related systems.
• Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Country Director or immediate supervisor or specialist.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s degree in economics, or business and finance. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered.
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience of which two full years is in macroeconomic research and data analysis.
• Familiarity with economic, political and social issues of the country.
• Ability to establish and maintain productive contacts with appropriate government officials, development partners, private sector, and academic institutions; good interpersonal skills.
• Excellent computer skills and knowledge with MS-Office is essential. Familiarity with statistical software is desirable.
• Familiarity with local institutions.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for Administrative Staff Levels 6 – 7.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.