Founded in 1933, the IRC is a leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. One aspect of the IRC is to provide assistance to refugees resettling in the United States. The IRC opened an office in Wichita, KS in 2011 to provide reception and placement services to newly arrived refugees. The office currently resettles approximately 400 refugees per year and provides numerous program services to assist the refugee from their arrival through citizenship.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Economic Empowerment Manager is responsible for ensuring the provision of services to IRC clients to attain self-sufficiency through employment and English as a Second Language (ESL) services. The Economic Empowerment Manager ensures services that include employment preparation, job placement, and post-placement follow-up services. In addition, the Economic Empowerment Manager is responsible for hiring, screening, and supervising the IRC’s language interpreters, and will provide daily supervision to ESL staff, interns, and volunteers for all ESL functions.
Additional responsibilities include programmatic reporting, developing partnership with local employers and other community partners, and fundraising and program sustainability. This is a full-time, exempt position, reporting to the Executive Director.
- Supervision: Provide daily supervision to employment staff, interns and volunteers for all employment functions including: intake, completion and submission of immigration benefits applications. Provide daily supervision to ESL interns and volunteers for all ESL functions including: intake, proficiency testing and instruction. Provide supervision to all interpreters. Complete performance reviews for staff and provide regular performance feedback.
- Recruitment and Training: Recruit Employment, ESL, and Interpretation staff. Provide initial and ongoing programmatic training to staff, interns and volunteers to ensure quality service provision.
- Program Development: Develop and cultivate long-term relationships with area employers in order to identify appropriate employment opportunities for IRC clients. Analyze and interpret market trends and apply to program strategy; lead outreach initiatives to develop new business partnerships to assist job placement activities.
- Program Monitoring: Monitor progress towards quarterly program goals and encourage staff, interns and volunteers in working toward these goals. Conduct periodic review of employment files, interpretation, and ESL documentation.
- Fundraising: Identify and secure funds to support IRC’s ESL Program in Wichita.
- Budget Development and Tracking: Assist Executive Director in developing budgets for Employment and ESL programs. Oversee and approve Matching Grant, state-funded employment grant, and other economic empowerment grant expenditures.
- Reporting: Ensure timely and accurate programmatic reporting to donors.
- Leadership: Serve as an active member of the Leadership Team at the IRC in Wichita. Assume responsibility for one area of office management (one area taken on by each member of the leadership team)
- Coordinate Public Consultation and prepare quarterly reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor Degree in a related field.
- A requirement of a minimum of 2 years’ experience providing services to refugees in a resettlement context.
- Experience in the area of employment services or ESL instruction a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, with fluency in written and spoken English.
- Grant writing experience preferred.
- Proven success achieving goals and working effectively with all levels of staff in a multicultural environment.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle with current insurance and the ability to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area is required.