This position supports JSI’s U.S. Health Services Division (HSD) and World Education, Inc. (WEI) programs. The director for U.S. communications is responsible for developing and implementing strategic communication plans focused on increasing the visibility of HSD and WEI, and fostering opportunities for thought leadership in public health, health services, education, and education in health. This includes identifying opportunities and channels for promotion and timely positioning of JSI’s and WEI’s expertise and capabilities. This position will collaborate with HSD and WEI leaders and project staff and report to the senior director, communications and operations.
- Create and manage integrated communications strategies for HSD, including public relations, marketing, and crisis management/communications. Work closely with the digital communications leader to support conferences, events, and graphic design.
- Collaborate with communications staff, IT, and other partners to develop and execute internal and external WEI communications and knowledge management strategy, which includes audience segmentation, key messages, and a robust monitoring and evaluation component, all focused on education and education in health.
- Guide the U.S. communications team in delivering strategic communications plans and campaigns. Lead and mentor in a dynamic and inclusive manner, fostering trust, motivation, and peak performance.
- Manage agency support.
- Work with senior HSD and WEI staff and project directors to:
– Develop a strategic communication plan that supports their objectives.
– Identify areas of expertise, topics for external recognition and leadership, initiatives, and projects.
– Translate technical information into compelling messages, stories, and other content to promote HSD and WEI.
– Develop a thought leadership strategy.
– Coordinate with key program staff and senior leadership to determine goals, targets, and needs(internal and external) of the communications and knowledge management strategy.
- Ensure that U.S. and organization-wide communications are aligned.
- Support business development efforts through timely communication activities and contribute to business development strategy.
- Stay abreast of competitorsâ€™ communication activities and industry best practices.
- Limited travel (approx. 20%) within the U.S. to represent JSI at conferences and events as health and safety guidelines allow.
- Work with key program staff to compile, write, contribute to, and disseminate WEI annual and HSD required reports. Coordinate the entire process of developing and completing these reports.
- Ensure all public communications and materials align with JSI and WEIâ€™s branding strategy and marking plans.
- A masterâ€™s degree in public health, international development, journalism, communications, or a related field preferred.
- 10+ years in a communication and/or marketing role, either in-house or at an agency.
- 5+ years building and mentoring a team of communications specialists. Proven commitment to creating a learning environment and fostering a culture of collaboration, trust, and inclusion.
- Proven planning, writing, editing, and material production experience (e.g., newsletters, press releases, annual reports, presentations, speeches, conferences, videos, websites) and experience with/knowledge of social media content and community management.
- Experience working with nonprofit/mission-based organizations and/or in public health.
- Commitment to advancing health and racial equity through internal organizational practices and external work.
- Strategic and analytical thinking, superior problem-solving skills, and ability to execute near-term details with precision while advancing a broader, forward-looking strategy.
- Strong performance accountability and ability to follow through on commitments, maintain confidentiality, and meet deadlines in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent leadership, time management, planning, and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to distill and translate complex concepts across diverse audiences.
This description is not all inclusive. The incumbent will perform other reasonable business-related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other managers when necessary. JSI reserves the right to change duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online.
No phone calls please.
Principals only please.