Director Quality Assurance and Risk Management
Based in Washington DC
Reports to Project Director
Who we are
With over 50 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
PSI is recruiting Directors of Quality Assurance and Risk Management for the upcoming USAID-funded Procurement Services Agent contracts for Malaria and Reproductive Health part of the Next Generation Global Health Supply Chain Suite of Programs. The combined total value of these two PSA contracts is anticipated to be between $4.0 and $4.5 billion.
The positions are contingent upon approval and funding.
Sound like you? Read on.
Reporting to the Director of Global Supply chain, the Quality Assurance and Risk Management Director (QARMD) is responsible for the overall quality of operations and commodities handled by the project. The QARMD will collaborate with Project Senior Management to assess compliance with regulations, guidelines, procedures, and policies, and that project management processes meet international standards (e.g., ISO9001). The QARMD will oversee the Quality Assurance (QA) team responsible for identifying and mitigating risks, and for implementing quality improvement activities. The QARD will serve as the technical liaison with the contractors implementing USAID’s existing and anticipated QA contracts under the GHSC Suite of Programs.
- Assurance of Quality Management Processes (ISO 9001) and USAID-specific requirements by ensuring that project systems are auditable and by assessing contractual risk and creating mitigation or elimination strategies
- Pro-active risk assessment and mitigation for procurement activities, including developing a risk mitigation strategy for the project
- Oversight of commodity quality assurance to ensure procurement follows quality standards. This may include following and enacting global recalls, ensuring project follows testing and sampling requirements, working with in-country national bodies to ensure compliance and quality before arriving in final destination, and documentation of the project’s QA strategy
- Provide technical and operational leadership to achieve and sustain quality service delivery and to continuously improve project effectiveness and efficiency
- Ensure project meets in-country regulatory requirements for laboratory commodities and consumables
- Facilitate a risk-based approach for decision-making within the project’s Quality Management Systems (QMS)
- Develop and implement standard procedures to properly record and escalate high quality risk to internal and external clients
- Update and/or introduce processes for cost-benefit analysis, risk reduction and the introduction of efficiencies into the project, based on the current landscape and global best practices
- Support Senior Management to integrate quality risk management concepts and philosophies into the project’s overall QMS
- Serve as senior contact for quality assurance issues, responsible for escalating risks as appropriate and/or indicated
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- 12 to 15 years of experience in quality assurance and risk management in public health, preferably with procurement and supply chain experience
- A graduate degree in supply chain, pharmacy, public health, business or management is preferred or the possession of a bachelor’s degree in the same field and an additional five years of work experience beyond the minimum requirements may be substituted for a graduate degree
- At least seven years of experience working in or in partnership with low-income and middle-income countries
- Deep understanding of GCP, GLP and GMP
- Demonstrated expertise in assuring that quality standards are met when procuring, transporting and delivering public health commodities.
- Strong working knowledge of health commodity procurement and distribution processes and procedures
- Experience with commodities that test and treat, Malaria, Tuberculosis as well as Family Planning commodities preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of quality management systems initiatives and standards, including direct experience in writing and reviewing QA policies and standard operating procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to promote quality culture throughout a business or project
- Experience interacting with senior U.S. government and foreign government officials
- Demonstrated experience managing teams for quality assurance, improvement and risk mitigation
- Relevant CQI, IRCA and/or ISO certifications highly desirable
- Fluency and ability to communicate in English required; fluency in a second language (French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin) highly desired
- Ability and willingness to travel (up to 25%) to and work in low-resource environments required
- References will be required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
*Due to high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log into your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or call (202)785-0072.