With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
With this role being based in AZ, the Deputy Political Director will work closely with the top policy staff in the state and embed themselves with the political operations, working to build political partnerships and advance priority policy goals. The Deputy Political Director will be responsible for building and executing plans for EDF Action local, state, and federal electoral initiatives in the state and region.. In particular, the position will be responsible for working with the Senior Political Director to manage external consultants, supervising and crafting independent expenditure programs, and generally supporting EDF Action’s policy and political success. In this role, he/she will be part of a tight-knit team, reporting to the Senior Political Director of EDF Action, while working closely with other colleagues on the EDF Action team and the policy and advocacy teams in the region.
The Deputy Political Director will report to Senior Political Director.
The Director, Political Programs responsibilities will include:
· Work with state and regional leads to develop political priorities in support of state policy goals.
· Work with federal affairs staff and EDF Action Senior Political Director to inform and help implement coordinated advocacy and political engagement that integrate local perspectives.
· Work with Senior Political Director to track all EDF Action budget items in coordination with the compliance manager and finance staff, working to ensure accurate and timely payment and reporting of expenditures
· Develop and implement policies and structures to streamline operations including creative product tracking and approval, procedures for external consultants, and the media buying process.
· Build alliances and partnerships with aligned political actors active at the state level.
· Working directly with candidates (as appropriate), facilitating campaign contributions, providing supportive resources and working to cultivate, or even recruit candidates for elected office.
· Coordinating the development and implementation of in-state independent expenditure program in election years.
· Develop assets, relationships and networks and provide political intelligence that enhance the effectiveness of EDF Action’s policy advocacy and political engagements.
· Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences are connected, included, and empowered to address environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum six years of experience
- Strong understanding of political and campaign paid communications, especially the independent expenditure landscape.
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Results-oriented, proactive individual with the ability to think strategically and carry out responsibilities in a timely and effective manner with minimal supervision.
- Interest and working knowledge of current issues relating to climate change, energy efficiency, clean energy, and air quality.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.