Position: Director of Support – Iran
Reports to: Country Director
Location: Based in Tehran with frequent travel to the field
Duration: 6 months with possible extension
General Position Summary:
Provide direction and management of country operations so that support functions which comprise Administration, Human Resources, Procurement, Safety and Security, Fleet management, IT are coordinated and implemented efficiently and cost-effectively to respond to program needs and provide high-quality services to staff and external stakeholders at different levels.
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 18 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure. In addition, RI has country offices registered as affiliates of one of the alliance members in an additional 18 countries.
Relief International has been working in Iran since 2004. The Iran portfolio of Relief International has a strong focus on emergency disaster response and refugee response. Relief International is currently implementing a large scale refugee response program in Iran in collaboration with multiple partners, UN, and European donors.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- As a member of the Country Office Senior Management Team, the Director of Supports will participate in decision making, policy design, and implementation exercises
- Advise senior management on operational issues affecting country program delivery and overall operations,
- Ensure integration of all operations department activities (Finance, Admin, HR, logistics, security) with Programs Management teams to ensure that operational aspects are entirely in alignment to Rl’s mission and implementation of quality programming
- Conduct regular joint meetings with the program team to discuss priority issues, ensure effective coordination and information sharing, and support team building in a manner that fosters inclusion and participation from all departmental staff.
- Strengthen capacities of national staff working on HR, security, logistics, and procurement through coaching and mentoring for individual and team growth; conduct training and job performance reviews of staff.
- As part of Planning, Budgeting, Monitoring, and Reporting, provide input, including operational risk analysis and recommendations to the Country Senior Management.
- Ensure that Relief international policies and donor rules and regulations fully comply.
- Coordinating with the finance department for archiving of support documents and audit readiness of projects.
Procurement & Logistics:
- Supervise the country procurement & Logistics team.
- Oversee the development, deployment, and utilization of Local Procurement policies, procedures, and systems to deliver compliance with RI and donor requirements.
- Ensure contracts are managed within the scope of the units and efficiently maintaining all recommended processes and procedures.
- Work with the Program Director to ensure appropriate and timely planning and implementation of program activities.
- Ensure periodic and timely tracking, inventory, and reporting for RI fixed assets (non-expendable property); collate the tracking and reporting across all offices centrally in the Country Office and for reporting to HQ as requested.
- Ensure periodic and timely tracking of good in kinds in coordination with the program team.
- Ensure management of fleets is in line with RI standards; ensure that appropriate allocation and safe use of vehicles is achieved throughout the program.
- Make sure stock management systems are implemented, and all key staff know and adhere to policies. Support in monitoring project stock levels and advise on appropriate stocking and replenishment to meet project demands.
Planning, Reporting, and Accountability:
- Supervise the preparation of procurement plans with the project and departmental staff for the procurement, receipt, storage, and issue of supplies and equipment used at the country office and field office level.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of soft and hard copy administrative monitoring systems for all operational functions including fleet, IT Infrastructure, offices, and guest house, safety and security protocols.
- Produce regular reports for internal and external purposes on the operations systems and audits, at the request of senior country and HQ management.
- Conduct routine audits, spot checks, and maintain RI standards with respect to inventory control, procurement standards, and core policies and practices for business ethics, code of conduct, and conflict of interest policies.
- Ensure that accurate and complete, reporting and internal controls systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained.
- Ensure effective warehouse and commodity management and quality control measures are implemented.
- Ensure adequate logistics preparedness through contingency planning and continuous preparedness reviews.
- Perform periodic systems checks in administration, logistics, procurement, security, and fleet management in Tehran and sub-offices to ensure compliance with RI and donor standards and requirements, and to ensure responsive support to staff, programs, and partners.
- Supervise the country HR team.
- Lead the regular review of country office roll-out of HR policies, employment policies, and procedures in compliance with RI’s standards and evolving national labor law.
- In collaboration with the Country Director, lead the development of staffing and recruitment plan to ensure that each team is staffed appropriately, according to need and funding availability, in an efficient and timely manner.
- Ensure the consistent implementation of HR policies and procedures across the country program.
- Provide guidance on matters related to tax, insurance, immigration procedures for expats; labor laws and business processes
- Effectively manage talent and supervise operations department managers and officers; manage team dynamics and the development and well-being of support and other staff.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
Safety and Security
- Supervise the country safety and security team.
- Maintain close coordination and communication with the CD and Safety and Security Officer on safety and security concerns and evolving issues that could adversely affect staff and/or operations.
- Ensure business continuity through an integrated risk management approach, including security, financial, operational and reputation risks by developing contingency plans and scenarios; and take ownership of the action plans.
- Keep safety and security protocols updated and ensure all RI staff receive the required training.
- Work with RI security personnel to ensure proper security measures are in place to reduce risks to staff and property and to install emergency security procedures.
Qualification and Job Requirements
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- University Degree required, Master’s level preferred in Business Administration or related discipline (Supply Chain and/or Logistics Management).
- Over 5 years of demonstrated experience in a Senior Management position with a focus on Supply chain and logistics management
- Previous INGO experience in staff management, Logistics, finance, and project follow up
- Experience of security and risk management within a volatile context
- Results-driven and demonstrable ability to set and communicate goals and ensure effective and appropriate decision making and problem-solving
- Good team player, able to organize, train and motivate a multicultural team
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation