Position Title: Director of Research
Reports to: Director of Clinical Programs
Location: Harper, Liberia
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with ministries of health to build local and national clinical capacity, and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality healthcare, address the root causes of disease, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global healthcare policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we also support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Partners In Health/Liberia (PIH-LIB) is a Harvard-affiliated international NGO that has partnered with the Government of Liberia to strengthen health systems since 2014. PIH/LIB works in close collaboration with the Government of Liberia to strengthen the public sector health systems and to scale up innovative health care delivery models at community, district and national level.
The Director of Research is responsible for ensuring that PIH-LIB is driven by a vision and mission to undertake research that will respond to the needs of the poor in society while helping to strengthen local and national health systems. The Director of Research is responsible for developing and managing all research activities, strategic planning of research projects, managing relationships with government, donor partners, and research collaborators, oversee the PIH-LIB Research Committee, assist in grant writing, manage local and international IRB policies while ensuring timely and accurate reporting of information to the executive and clinical director and other named entities as required by local law, donor requirements, and internal policy. Guided by the organization core mission and values the director will lead the department in implementation and operational research to improve the health and welfare of the communities we serve.
The primary role of the Director of Research will be to lead a team that innovates, develops and delivers research capacity programs as well as specific research initiatives. The scope of this work is to drive implementation/operational research in order to improve access to health care, improve the health care delivery efficiency and disseminate our results with the Ministry of Health and with the global health community through publications in academic journals and at national and international conferences. Currently PIH-LIB has clinical programs in community health, HIV, TB, malaria, mental health, maternal and child health, clinical supply chain management, outpatient and inpatient services and health systems strengthening. The research function will align with these programs to undertake quantitative and qualitative research to generate knowledge out of implementation.
- Provide the vision and mission for the research function within PIH-LIB
- Develop, manage, and implement all quantitative, qualitative, mix-methods research projects and quality improvement projects
- Develop strategic research plans in conjunction with clinical team focusing on clinical priority areas especially around HIV, TB, maternal health, child health, mental health, and community programs
- Work with PIH Executive Leadership team to develop and implement the strategic plan and vision for Research and Health Information at PIH-LIB, providing quarterly and yearly reports and plans.
- Assist in grant writing especially around program design, M&E indicators, and epidemiological methods
- Lead the effort to seek and compete for research grants in Liberia and beyond and ensure proper grants management for these grants.
- Oversee and manage PIH-LIB Research Committee
- Oversee and manage all publications that are submitted to academic journals and research presentations that are presented at national and international conferences
- Build strong collaborations with partners in Liberia, CDC, USAID, PEPFAR and other academic organizations abroad to align the needs of MoH and PIH/LIB relevant to policy and practice.
- Provide strategic and operational support to research department in the development of the annual work-plan and budgets.
- Work closely with the M&E team to gather high quality data and appropriate indicators
- Assist M&E program with data analysis and dissemination of information
- Work with Tubman University to build capacity in public health and research
- Assist PIH-LIB and PIH Boston in writing reports to donors and disseminating the necessary M&E indicators for these reports
- Manage departmental budgets
- Oversee hiring and job description development
- Ensure all research undertaken at PIH-LIB has local ethics and other needed approvals. Represent PIH-LIB by participating in National LIB research or committee meetings and assisting in development of research agenda as needed or requested by Liberian government.
- Advanced degree in the health sciences, public health or social sciences. PhD candidates are preferred.
- Substantive experience within a health-related research field, preferably in a low-income setting.
- Significant knowledge of global health research, implementation science and research, quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Experience in conducting research and translating that research into manuscripts, policy briefs and influencing practice.
- Knowledge of statistical programs such as Stata, SAS or R, preferred.
- Experience in database design and management a plus.
- Experience in working closely with national ministries and universities will confer an advantage.
- Self-driven, confident and articulate with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Exceptional communication skills (Oral and written).
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with professionals at all levels in diverse settings; must be flexible, reliable, responsive, and resourceful.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, work under pressure, and meet deadlines.
- Comfort working in teams as well as acting independently.
- Willingness to work in a rural setting in Liberia
- Professional fluency in English required
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.