Position Title: Director of Prospect Management and Research
Reports to: Senior Director of Development Operations and Strategy
Location: Boston, MA
The Director of Prospect Management and Research leads all efforts around prospect identification, portfolio management and donor research to support the ambitious fundraising goals set for Partners In Health. Using their own expertise and industry best practices, the Director will refine and develop policies, processes, and workflows for prospect research and portfolio management from all revenue generating streams. The Director is responsible for building a robust donor pipeline while optimizing portfolio assignments in order to position all frontline fundraisers for success. The Director will ensure that prospect and donor data is properly maintained and coded within our current CRM and will use this data to produce improved reports highlighting fundraising KPIs and performance metrics that will help inform development leaders’ strategies. The Director will supervise a team of 4+ staff and will need to build strong relationships with all teams and leadership across the organization who are working toward revenue generation for Partners In Heath.
Portfolio Optimization and Moves Management
- Oversee all aspects of the prospect management system. Develop and implement comprehensive policies and procedures to ensure quality and consistency across all activities related to prospect research and management.
- Assess and assign donors and prospects for 10+ regionally based fundraisers. Lead monthly moves management meetings and bi-annual portfolio reviews with all relationship managers and supporting coordinators to monitor performance metrics and ensure that actions, strategies and revenue projections are being accurately uploaded to the database.
- Establish prospect pipeline guidelines and workflows that ensures a steady flow of new prospects while holding portfolio managers accountable to moving all assignments through the donor cycle. Customize pipeline strategies for principal giving prospects to better identify and strategize next steps while working in close collaboration with the Senior Director of Principal Giving.
- Co-lead the newly launched prospect discovery program with the Senior Manager of Leadership Giving to ensure that the research team is providing strong prospects with the highest potential for leadership and major giving and then quickly and efficiently making the proper portfolio assignments after prospects are qualified.
- Design and create reports and dashboards to help monitor and track fundraising performance and progress made towards goals. Collaborate with members of the Development Operations team and the Strategic Information and Systems team to develop reports in Raiser’s Edge and PowerBI, while also offering recommendations for other reporting tools and data visualizations.
- Supervise the Development Associate’s management of the gift acceptance process that assesses reputational risks for all funders and partners to the organization to ensure that the organization follows industry standards and internal values and mission.
- Manage the Development Associate for prospect management and research and delegate project management responsibilities.
Prospect Identification and Research
- Oversee the overall prospect and donor research strategy for all revenue generating teams within the external engagement cluster. Advise and collaborate with the Manager of Prospect Research, who will drive the execution of the team’s research strategy.
- Ensure that current research activities are aligned with organizational priorities and revenue goals. Assess current prospecting procedures and research queue and make recommendations to improve existing processes. Create structures to better visualize network connections and relationships that will allow us to identify strong potential prospects with the help of volunteer engagement.
- Ensure highest quality standards and set team metrics based on expertise and industry best practices. Mentor members of the research team so that they have the skills and training necessary to achieve these expectations.
- Guide and inform our annual external database screening and analysis in close collaboration with the Director of Development Operations. Incorporate new data into current research systems in an effort to uncover new donors and update information on current prospects.
- Oversee the research process for the Board’s Governance and Nominating Committee to identify and vet possible Board candidates using criteria set by the Board Engagement Team. Advise and support the Manager of Prospect Research as they continue to manage this process.
Management and Budget
- Manage and support all members of the prospect management and research team focused on creating development plans for each staff member, providing mentorship and identifying professional training opportunities. Oversee all hiring and onboarding for the team.
- Define long term vision for team structures and responsibilities that aligns with goals and priorities set by the Senior Director of Development Strategy and Operations. Ensure that the team’s structure is able to support the constituent management and research needs across all revenue generating teams.
- Monitor the budget for the prospect management and research team and inform recommendations to ensure that the organization is positioned for fundraising success.
- Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years of relevant prospect management and research experience in a non-profit setting or similar industry.
- Proven track record of managing teams in both in-person and virtual environments.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and research skills.
- Experience in data analysis and interpretation; ability to translate information into reports and presentations.
- Solid computer skills in a PC environment and high proficiency using donor databases (Raiser’s Edge experience preferred. Excellent skills in the functional use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Teams; PowerBI and SharePoint a plus).
- Record of showing initiative and independently setting up effective systems and workflows that meet outcome expectations in quality and timeliness.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the latest prospecting and research tools and systems (WealthX, ResearchPoint, LexisNexis, Noza etc…).
- Exceptional communication skills, including ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across departments and countries.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with integrity, maturity and good judgement.
- Keen understanding of working in a matrixed non-profit structure.
- Interest in social justice strongly desirable.
Partners In Health is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Sierra Leone, Kazakhstan, Rosebud and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities.