Job title: Director of Programs
Based in Maputo, Mozambique
Reports to the Country Representative
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
A Director of Programs is sought to lead PSI Mozambique’s portfolio of activities related to family planning, sexual and reproductive health, and HIV/AIDS. The Director will manage a portfolio of community based health promotion and clinical service delivery interventions, as well as, manage external relations and partnerships. PSI Mozambique programming is dynamic and flexible, continuously adapting to field level insights, as well as, quantitative analysis.
With support from the government of Mozambique and international donors such as the Embassy of the Netherlands, DFID, USAID and UNFPA and various private foundations, PSI has worked in Mozambique for more than 20 years. Since 1994, we have implemented social marketing, social franchising and behavior change communication to deliver prevention and treatment products and services across a wide range of health areas including HIV/AIDS, family planning, malaria, and water-borne diseases.
This position will be based in Maputo, Mozambique, reporting to the Country Representative, with an estimated start date of August 2018.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Provide strategic leadership for the implementation and growth of PSI/Mozambique’s project portfolio through ensuring strategic alignment with national priorities, detailed planning, and coordination throughout across PSI’s 6 country offices and partners. While maintaining an unwavering focus on providing aspirational health care to our customers.
- Lead internal and external planning and reporting, including national and provincial annual work plans, as well as, quarterly progress review
- Analyze and continuously improve project implementation through rigorous attention to qualitative and quantitative
- Maintain effective and regular communication with donors, implementing partners, and government entiti
- Manage the submission of high-quality periodic reporting in line with donor and PSI requirements (Quarterly and Annual Status reports, quarterly financial reports, forecasting etc…)
- Ensure health impact is achieved and donor deliverables are met within the project timeframe and budget
- Oversee the development of synthesizing and disseminating lessons learned from projects between implementing partners
- Ensure sound financial management including programmatic budgeting, spending projections and monitoring of payments
- Expand, monitor and identify opportunities for increased impact, improved efficiency and cost effectiveness and ensure best value for money
- Ensure the effective use and coordination of donor resources and the compliance of financial systems and controls with relevant donor standards
- Build capacity of country team to effectively manage and carry forward implementation
External Relations & Partnerships
- Interface with donors, project partners and stakeholders to represent PSI programs and ensure alignment with national strategies
- Develop and maintain strong external relations, in particular with government, donors, and public and private sector partners
- Participate in technical work groups, including, but not limited to, family planning and safe abortion
- Deliver recommendations on technical assistance and systems strengthening that could be applied to enhance the effectiveness and sustainability PSI/Mozambique’s programs
- Monitor programs’ results and ensure programs provide high quality technical services, meets annual targets and maximize positive outcomes
- Provide technical oversight and strategic direction for program implementation and development
- Support the Country Representative and other staff in strategic planning and overall institutional development.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- Master’s degree in relevant field (MBA, MSW, MPH) or equivalent experience
- Technical expertise in the area of HIV, reproductive health, maternal and/or child health preferred
- At least 10 years demonstrated staff management and project oversight experience
- Familiarity with international health, development issues and the international donor community
- Experience developing and managing budgets
- Ability to work effectively in partnership with a variety of audiences and organizations
- Excellent writing, presentation and interpersonal communication skills preferred
- Experience managing, implementing, and evaluating large complex projects involving the collection, analysis and presentation of health and population data that covers the full range of technical, field and administrative skills required for successful implementation of HIV, reproductive health, maternal and/or child health programs
- Works well independently and in teams
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative skills
- Well organized, strong attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Fluency or strong working knowledge of oral and written Portuguese and English
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.