Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Contract length: 2 years
The Director of Program Development and Quality shares in the overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of the Country Office program. As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) in Nigeria, the Director of Program Development and Quality is responsible for overseeing the development of high quality, innovative programs that deliver immediate and lasting change for children and monitoring the quality of the implementation of those programs. Provide technical assistance and appropriate monitoring and evaluation in emergency responses.
Qualifications and experience
- Recommended a minimum of 10 years’ management experience in a corporate or an NGO environment, including experience directing and implementing programs for children in both emergency and development contexts, preferably with solid experience in more than one of the Save the Children priority sectors: education, protection, rights governance, HIV/AIDs, health and nutrition, and emergencies
- Recognized leadership role in relevant technical areas at both field and country level
- Strong management and leadership skills with the ability to motivate and get the best out of teams
- Masters degree in Social Sciences, in an area of social development
- A general appreciation of the issues concerning the NGO sector, both development and humanitarian issues
- Solid experience of developing and managing monitoring and learning systems
- Good analytical skills. Effective negotiator, with the ability to positively influence cross departmental and cross sector working
- Credibility to lobby, influence and represent Save the Children at all levels
- Resource management, training , capacity building, coaching, and mentoring skills
- Good understanding and knowledge of gender equity and diversity
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming teams, in emergencies
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience of developing consortia programmes and working with and in consortia
- Experience of contracting and managing technical assistance to carry out research and studies
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
To see a full a job description, please visit our website at http://www.savethechildren.net/jobs
Please apply in English or French using your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.