Position Title: Director of Operations
Reporting to: Executive Director, PIH Lesotho
Working in close collaboration with the Executive Director and the rest of the leadership team, the Director of Operations is responsible for developing and organizing the administrative and operational support necessary for the delivery of clinical and non-clinical services at PIH Lesotho. This diverse and dynamic position includes management of human resources, general operations and overall administrative functions. The Director of Operations works as a liaison between the Lesotho-based and Boston-based staff, ensuring efficient and effective communication.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and other members of the leadership team to develop long-term strategy for the organization.
- Work with PIH staff and district leaders to develop work plans, program budgets and oversee implementation in line with PIH Lesotho strategic plan.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships and partnerships with the Ministry of Health, local government, and other public sector and non-profit organizations and community leaders.
- Ensure effective communication with headquarters team in Boston and other PIH sites as needed.
- Design and staff a team to support the function appropriately.
- Review current HR Manual, policies and procedures and work with the team to update or develop from scratch in accordance with industry best practice.
- Support and mentor Human Resources Manager and other members of the Operations and Administration team to oversee all aspects of recruitment and support of employees throughout district, including creation, maintenance and implementation oversight of cross-department staff policies and procedures, orientation and training.
- Spearhead initiatives to onboard and orient staff members to PIH’s mission, and proactively create morale boosting initiatives at each site.
- Build cohesion between all PIH sites and staff in Lesotho.
- Collaborate with MOH administrative leadership to coordinate human resources matters.
Operations & Logistics
- Provide leadership, strategic guidance and direct oversight for strengthening organizational systems in collaboration with Senior Leadership and overall operations team.
- Immense knowledge of procurement, supply chain, overall logistics (including warehousing and distribution), fuel and fleet management, and infrastructure is required.
- Review all current systems and documentation (I.e. manuals, policies, standard operating procedures, etc.) for each of the above teams and work to improve and/or fill in gaps for missing documentation based on industry best practice.
- Create tracking systems across all teams filling in current gaps. (For instance, fuel management tracking system, master supply chain tracker, vehicle movement tracker, etc.)
- Train all relevant managers to implement and oversee such systems ensuring accountability, transparency and overall efficiency to promote improve clinical and nonclinical services.
- Ensure efficient transport and procurement operations, including protocols/policies for standardizing daily operating procedures for stock management, procurement, transport, and infrastructure.
- Oversee the acquisition, construction and maintenance of facilities.
- Ensure that transparent procurement systems are in place, with appropriate controls for purchasing activities, and that policies are being followed.
- Conduct various exercises to help make the efforts of the operations department more efficient and effective, such as working with procurement to set up preferred vendors for routine orders, assisting all teams in semi-annual forecasting exercises to reduce procurement cycle, etc.
- Provide final approval and oversight for large annual purchases, alongside the Boston-based operations and clinical team, including international procurement.
- Build the capacity of the infrastructure department to manage new infrastructure renovations and projects throughout PIHL supported sites, including the supervision of external contractors.
- Contribute to the overall development strategy, private donor cultivation, and collaboration with in-country government sources.
- Participate in events, meetings and conferences as a spokesperson for the organization.
- Review quarterly program/activity reports for submission to donors and Boston headquarters.
- Supervise the development department and build long-term in-country and international communications strategy.
- Participate as needed in supporting donors, PIH leadership team, and other visitors.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Five years of operations and project management experience, preferably in international projects, with demonstrated increasing responsibility.
- Comfort with ambiguity, shifting priorities, and need to juggle competing demands in a fast-paced and challenging work environment.
- Prior experience in managing and leading strong and diverse teams.
- Master’s degree in business, public policy, public health administration or related field preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across departments and country.
- Strong operational and business analytics thinking.
- Proven ability to exercise good judgment, demonstrate political astuteness, and tact.
- Prior experience working in Africa and in resource poor settings, a plus.
- Sense of humor and flexible disposition very helpful.
- Strong organizational & writing skills.
- Ability to live in Maseru, Lesotho full-time with frequent travel to the sites.
- Interest in social justice strongly desirable.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.