Director of Finance and Administration, Zambia
MSI anticipates an upcoming proposal for a five-year evaluation and research support services contract to support USAID/Zambia’s Health Office. The objectives are: 1) to conduct evaluations, operations research and assessments across the health portfolio (Malaria, HIV/AIDS, Health Systems Strengthening, Maternal Health, and Family Planning); and 2) build the monitoring, evaluation and research capacity of the USAID Mission, its grantees and local Zambian institutions.
**Please note: Only Zambian citizens are eligible for this position.**
The Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for the efficient administration of accounting, human resources, operations, payroll and reporting in the office. The position provides key support to the Project Director on all management areas under her/his direct supervision and, working in a leadership capacity with the office staff, is responsible for implementation and management of internal controls to facilitate accurate and timely accounting, financial, human resources and information systems. S/he will also collaborate with international colleagues, technical personnel, subcontractors and international partner organizations, and local governmental partners. This is a full time position in Zambia.
- Prepare monthly project plan budget in collaboration with Project Director and financial managers based at HQ.
- Oversee accurate and timely payment and recording of all in-country financial, accounting, treasury, and local tax transactions, as well as reporting and allocation of project costs.
- Design, monitor and implement systems of internal control that safeguard client’s assets and lead the process of implementing sound accounting procedures.
- Manage the accurate and timely preparation of office’s monthly expenditure reports to HQ, ensuring review with and approval by Project Director.
- Monitor bank account balances and bank reconciliations.
- Supervise handling, reconciliation and reporting of petty cash.
- Ensure cost effective and efficient procurement of goods and services in accordance with MSI and USAID procurement procedures, as well as security of valuable equipment.
- Generate regular project financial updates for office staff and financial managers at HQ.
Local Subcontractor/Vendor Financial/Administrative Management:
- Serve as liaison to local accounting firms, bankers, insurance carriers, brokers and other business vendors.
- Coordinate with HQ in monitoring and managing subcontracts.
Human Resources Administration:
- Maintain effective liaison with local counsel to provide on tax, labor and related legal issues.
- In collaboration with the Project Director, oversee preparation of monthly payroll, including computation of income tax and pension contributions & other fringe benefits.
- With Project Director, implement personnel policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with Ghanaian labor laws.
- In collaboration with Project Director, manage recruitment of local staff including preparation of staffing requests and appointment records, employment contracts, and benefits enrollments.
- Monitor effective maintenance of up-to-date personnel records; provide timely staffing reports and other HR data to HQ upon request.
Office Administration and Operations:
- Monitor compliance with administrative and operations policies with Project Director and HQ.
- Maintain effective liaison with office landlord and utilities providers, keeping related contracts & legal agreements properly documented and up to date.
- Oversee coordination and supervision of support staff, including drivers, office assistants and IT support.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting, or relevant accounting certification.
- Minimum 5 years of related professional experience with an international organization, preferably with a focus on health or related area.
- Prior experience overseeing financial operations for a field-based USAID project.
- In depth knowledge of USAID rules and regulations, particularly as related to finance, accounting practices, contracts, procurement, and reporting.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to work both independently and collaboratively with Project Director and colleagues at HQ.
- Expertise with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint); accounting software, payroll management systems & web-based communications platforms. Advanced Excel skills preferable.
- Familiarly or previous experience with QuickBooks as a primary accounting tool.
- Proficiency in written and oral English required.